Weekend Warrior

When to change Rotor?

I'm a little concerned about my Roundagon Rotors which came with my BB7 setup. I'm now on my 2nd set of brake pads (organic) so i don't think it should wear the rotor down to much, however, on my car i usually go through 2 sets of pads before I reach minimum thickness on the rotor.

What is the minimum thickness on the rotors, I can't find any info online. Thanks...

nnn
    mtbr member
    I probably tell a lie, but I remember someone saying around 6 sets of pads per rotor.
    Most others say change it when it starts warping too often or is visibly very thin.
    "Life begins at 140" Richard Burns
    http://www.nikolay-k.com

Weekend Warrior
    I can see 6 sets of rotors if I only run organic pads, however, I'm thinking of dropping metallic pads in next and I guess it should wear a lot faster.

I wish I would have taken a measurement of my rotors when they were new. Those damn things are so thin to begin with. But that puts me at ease that I won't need any rotors for a while.

Thanks

A mean teen...
    Feb 2007
    Metallic pads will wear the disc faster (I think). The minimum thickness should be etched into the disc.

Sheffield,South Yorkshire
    I use only sintered on my Avid Ultimates,the front is 203mm and has had 5 or 6 set of pads since new (march 08)the rear is 185mm and has had probably 12 sets(the British wet and grit eats pads )Both rotors look as new.I had my last Enduro 4 years,dozens of pads and didn't need to change the rotors.If they warp i'd change them otherwise no point.

banned
    One can't quantify one person's uses and number of pads they go through before you replace a rotor. A person can go through a lot of brakes in a few miles, while some don't use their brakes that much. Conditions can also have an effect on brake pad life.

The bottom line is to measure the rotor thickness. However, this isn't a huge problem, but is part of your periodic safety check.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Most rotor are 2mm or 1.8mm thick. I remember reading somewhere to remplace them when they are under 1.2mm. (not sure)

Weekend Warrior
    Awesome thanks. I just measured and got after 2 sets of Organic pads 1.9mm left on both front (185mm) and back (160mm).

I'm thinking of going with Metallic so that I get rid of that on/off feeling i got and get a bit more modulation. Or would anyone recommend something else?

Don't take me wrong, the Organic pads are very strong and grippy, maybe a bit too grippy for my taste.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Since warped rotors can usually be straightened out, I don't use this as an indication of when to swap the rotors. I usually change them when i start to notice grooves or uneven wear patterns on the rotors. The uneven wear on the rotor will result on uneven wear and shorter life on your pads.