mtbr member
    Sep 2004

What's with my noisy/squeeky Elixir CR's

I've been very happy with the power and modularity of my new Elixir CR brakes but they are becoming more and more noisy when I apply pressure to them. They weren't always this way. In fact, they were very quite at first. I've had them for about a month now and they probably have around 70-80 miles on them. They have the 160 rotors and don't rub at all.

What can I do? Any suggestions? Has anyone else had this same experience?

Thanks

TNC
    noMAD man
    Are they both making noise, and is it a real squeal or something else. I realize it's hard to diagnose sounds on the internet, but what's your best description. I really hate the noise you get when pads get contaminated with something...like a small dog with his tail being stepped on. Usually when you've had drag-free brakes working as well as you describe, a howl or squeal usually indicates contamination...not always, but more often perhaps. Have you had any work done to the bike lately?...had a fork oil leak?...got some chain lube on the pads? If both ends of the bike started squealing simultaneously, that's a strange coincidence. I haven't had any squeal out of mine, and one bike with them has quite a few miles. I'll also assume you're running the stock pads as delivered?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Hmmm, could be a mystery

I think the howling, dog-tail-in-the-rotor sound is about right. The front is worse than the back but not by too much. I haven't had any leaks on the rotors that I can tell, but maybe I should clean them anyways. The pads are stock and even though I've put some miles on them maybe their still not fully broken in. But I haven't noticed any reduction in the performance of the brakes. I just try not to use them too much these days because they're so loud. So, maybe it's a good thing.

TNC
    noMAD man
    I don't know...I wouldn't consider howling brakes a good thing. Something has caused it, and you just need to identify it. Your situation sure sounds like contamination, but it usually just involves one brake. Do you have a spare set of pads? If not, get some. One should always have at least one spare pair at the ready. Clean the rotor with a clean, lintless rag and alcohol or automotive brake cleaner. Install the new pads and see what happens to that brake as far as the noise goes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Sound advice...

Looks like I'll be ordering some fresh pads and givin' the rotors a good cleanin'.

Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Any suggestions on which type of pad?

Which pads should I get? I ride in Southern California so it's pretty dry. Should I go for the Sintered, Organic Aluminum, or Organic Steel. What's the difference anyway? Do they feel different, wear differently, etc?

Thanks

TNC
    noMAD man
    It's pretty dry here in west Texas...dust, dirt, rocks. The stock sintered pads have been working for me very well. The spare pair I got were some Jagwire sintered pads with aluminum backs...didn't give a lot of thought to organic pads, as I've never used them on any other brand or model I've owned.

mtbr member
    Try the "pit-stop" brake cleaner buy sram. It works great. All you do is spray it on the rotor/pads and let it dry after a few spins. I've used it many times after getting the random squeal.