mtbr member
    Apr 2007

What's a "couple steps better" than 07 Juicy 3s for 29er?

My 07 Jamis Dakota 29er HT came with Juicy 3s. They are weak and Foo Foo. I've been gradually improving the bike and now it's time to address the brakes.

What is a logical improvement over the Juicy 3 for a 29er?

I prefer to stick with Avid as it seems like a common OEM brand that I should be able to find deals on bikeshop/private owner takeoffs.

Before you all say to, I've bleed my 3s and my pads are in fine shape. I ride cross country to cross country technical. I weigh 200lbs and I like to haul ass when the trail starts going downhill.

I need richer stopping power. I'd just go out and buy the biggest Avids I can find but I also don't want to over-brake the bike.

Are there a couple of models/years to keep an eye out for in the auction/classifieds world that would be an obvious improvement over what I have now?

neko no basu
    i think, the problem might be rotors, not brakes themselves. bigger rotors can well be the way to go. it's critical for 29ers. you should use at least 7 inch rotors. 8 inch is very good choise for the front wheel too.

i've never used juicy 3, but juicy 5 are absolutely sufficient for the vast majority of xc/trail uses.
    GT force && scott voltage

mtbr member
    So you're 200lbs and like to "haul ass" when it starts to go downhill.... sounds like you need codes. I prefer to have more than necessary brakes than less. Doubt anyone would be taking off their codes though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for the reply. I've actually thought about trying a larger rotor up front instead of moving to a different line of brakes.

The next logical question would be if I can simply get a bigger rotor for the front without having to modify the Juicy 3 caliper with some bracket that was available at the time of release but now is nowhere to be found.

If anyone knows that I can run a larger rotor on a 2007 Juicy 3 front, without having to hunt down some bracket, please say so.

Really, if I can get away with some more immediate stopping power from the front alone, I'm happy with sticking with the Foo Foo rear.

The biggest problem with the brakes is:

1. both fade under heavy braking or during long durations of braking
    2. the front doesn't have that "immed stopping power" that a front brake should have
    3. the rear feels flexy although I could live with it if I had a burley front.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I'm def. looking for better braking. However, based on what little I know about the bike industry, there's a ton of ways to skin a cat and I just need to find a brake set that is a 3X improvement over what I'm running now.

What is the product name for "codes?" I don't nec. only buy used, I've been picking up a lot of OEM takeoffs from dealers. I'll also buy new from online retailers as well.

Using the Internet, the lousy economy, and the fact that people like to build up bikes and then part them out to build up another bike, I've been improving my bike from the Foo Foo stuff it came with and the brakes are next on the list.

mtbr member
    They're 4 piston brakes that avid makes. I was going to suggest stroker ace but since you prefer avid, here it is:
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/168...Brake-2008.htm

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks Vk45de. I'm thinking that maybe I go with the Codes for a whole new front brake setup and run the big rotor (180).

Then, I see if I can run a bigger rotor with my Juicy 3s on the rear.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    all you need to run bigger rotors on your 3's is an avid adaptor(all avid juicy adaptors are the same) that is the right mount( post or is) and size (16o,180,203 etc) for the bigger rotor that you decide on. i would try bigger rotors front and rear before you go up to the codes. for a 29er that sees xc and trail use they are overkill in power and weight in my eyes.

i personally would set up to juicy 5s with an 8in in the front and 7 out back. or the new avid exlir rs with a 185 in the front and 160 out back and that should be plenty of braking power