mtbr member
    Aug 2013

what wrong with this xtr brake ?

a lot of xtr brake in asia had a problem like this

may be this product can t be use in hot country?
    this pic just some of us that have this problem
    this happan to me as well. but less than above pic(but i need to used full finger glove and need to wax them with car wax every 2 week for stop cracking but they just slow down )
    and in our country have 2 shimano dealer and dealer1.hard to claim
    dealer2.very harddddddddd to claim .
    most of us give up and very disappoint in xtr brake.
    any one els in mtbr experience this issue? thx
    from asian mtb sorry for my bad eng XD

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    That serious corrosion. Marine air? Salty marine air? I live at sea level next to sea water but we don't see that corrosion here. Even from all the sweat I produce. But I do try and rinse my bike frequently to get the sweat off. Used to see steel bikes rust at the cable guides from sweat, but that took years usually. In winter it's important to keep the bike in a place where there is enough warmth and air flow to dry the bike. Maybe living in a hot humid climate is the problem. My older sister lives in Singapore and she says the climate is very consistently hot and humid and some things stay wet all the time. Using a car wax is a good idea but apparently it was not sufficient. Those should be anodized though and I would have thought immune to what the pictures show. Could those be nock offs ?

note that the shifter clamps which are also anodized aluminum are fine. That suggests that there is something wrong with the brake finish. Three year warranty on XTR. Maybe contact Shimano directly for help.

mtbr member
    Let me be the first to say, don't leave your bike outside when you're not riding it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

... and if we just ...

i alway park inside and alway wash and live veryvery far away from Salty marine air cause i stay at bangkok : P.but mind only last 5 month before start crack
    i don t know what happen about their quality but in thailand (my country)
    a ton of us have this problem and shimano thailand said
    warranty for xtr only 1year!!!!!!!! and they don t claim for us .
    may be we just a bad luck
    if u came to thai u can get cheap xtr brake(pair) second hand like 100-130bucks
    and no one want to buy T_T (sorry for my bad eng guy)
    i lucky i found this problem quick.so my brake still look alright(top view) but if look from below u can swear WTF ; D
    Last edited by groupkub; 08-11-2013 at 10:34 PM. Reason: mistake

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

some of them

mtbr member
    Its around the bleed port. Sure you have been using Shimano mineral oil, or at least mineral fluid and not the DOT car stuff.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    i think because of our sweat that make them like this and yes sure we all used mineral oil.
    i post this thread cause i want to know this problem happen in another country or not .
    but look like the problem only asia?may be something wrong with their product line for asia for sure .all my friend that used xtr brake (more than 20 that i know) have a same problem in 4-5 month and than spread a lot quicker after that.
    and we share our problem on internet and found a lot people have same problem.
    now lot of us start to avoid this brake.they work perfect but they get ugly quick this is bad.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    As far as I can tell. This is an issue with the finish on the brake lever bodies. Those do not seem to be just polished, but not anodized or in any other way protected from weather. This will cause corrosion over time, especially in hot and humid environments.

It's difficult to say if this is just an issue of a certain batch of brakes, or general issue. Also, this may be just an issue of the material shimano casts their brakes from.

mtbr member
    I only managed to see the last two pics the first time I looked at this. Its more general than I thought.
    Got a pair of xtr brakes a month ago. They may have some sort of varnish on them. Hope mine do not end up like that. They work great but the resin pads melt like butter, metal hold up but l
    The feel is not as good, but its not bad with no noise.

mtbr member
    It looks like corrosion caused by dissimilar metals being in contact. (Galvanic corrosion)

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    u guy should be right.but so quick man. my first brake is hayes stoker .
    i used like 2 year and their finish still look ok : P.
    and then i change to xtr only 5 month guy before i found thier finish corrosion.
    i alway clean after ride guy like i do with my hayes brake : (
    after all this brake performance is very good .i will use this xtr brake and waiting for new next generation xtr : P thx for respond guy X D

mtbr member
    Sure looks like salt corrosion to me. The corrosion is on more than just the chrome finish cover, it's on all the aluminum parts. Aluminum parts tend to be affected by salt air. Possibly your location in Asia is what is affecting yours and your friends brake parts. On the other hand, you wonder if Shimano did a poor job of applying a protective finish to the aluminum parts, either anodizing or clear coat will help protect the finish. I would call Shimano tech support and send them the pictures and see if they will replace the brakes under warranty.