Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

What turned you into a disc convert

I ride mostly cross country and for the record, I do think discs are better, but not always necessary (that is more dependant on terrain, style and conditions).

But for fun, this is what convinced me discs are better. A few years ago I rode in my local trails on a nice sunny 20 degree day with my v-brake bike. I went down into a valley, rode thru a creek, up a hill, and along a ridge. Then it was time to go downhill (did I mention it was a 20 degree day and I rode thru water). I went down the hill and at the bottom there was a rather sharp turn. I ended up accelerating while I squeezing my brakes and tested my bikes ability to handle a crash. It turned out that the rims were literally coated with ice.

Whats your story?

mtbr member
    Riding the Whistler Bike Park 7 or 8 years ago with Magura HS 33 brakes and realizing I couldn't stop. That will make you convert to disc.
    Get over it!

No, that's not phonetic
    My conversion: riding through water in the winter and having it freeze on the rims and then trying to stop. Again and again...
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Icy rims got me a few times too but what really bugged me was the number of rims I went through over a season. I got tired of limping home with my body going numb from riding a bare rim on pavement.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by micky
    What turned you into a disc convert ?
    It was Thorsten, then manager of Magura USA. I'd formed the Magura Cult because of him and his awesome rim brakes. I told him I had a Seven titanium frame on order and his simple reply was "Order disc brake tabs on it". I knew him well enough to know what he was implying.

The frame and the brakes arrived and some of my first rides were at the '99 Jim Thorpe PA mtbr Gathering.

I truly intended to try the brakes, let other Gatherers see them (this was early days for disc brakes remember) and ship them back right after the weekend.

That weekend convinced me never to go back to rim brakes; even to my Magura rim brakes.

I told him that he could do what the hell he wanted but those brakes were never coming back to him. He was just fine with that and the rest, as they say, is history!
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I upgraded to a fork without V-brake posts, was forced to discs through Planned Obsolescence.

I-S
    Magurified
    Mud. Gritty, sloppy, grindy, abrasive mud. Although my HS22s always coped better than V-brakes, discs are significantly better.

Freshly Fujified

"The Lemming Factor"

I just followed blindly.

For me it was the fatc that the Tektro rim brakes that came on my Gaint Warp DS2 weren't strong enough to stop my fat arse on downhill sections. Not much of a confidence booster, so I read up on discs and converted to BB7's. Haven't looked back since.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

"El Whatever"
    My list...

1.- Vee-brake pads disintegrating in the rain, without providing stopping power or modulation at all
    2.- Ease of maintenance. My discs (all of them, mechs or hydros) have run with much less troubles than my vees.
    3.- Lack of modulation of vees
    4.- Lack of sheer power of vees
    5.- I can never get my rims to be true... It doesn't matter with discs.

oh... there's the bling factor that I can't deny, but that's a minor issue.
    Check my Site

bi-winning
    I got discs on my bike because:

1. People on MTBR said they were better.
    2. Wetness has a rather negative effect on rim brakes.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by micky
    I ride mostly cross country and for the record, I do think discs are better, but not always necessary (that is more dependant on terrain, style and conditions).

But for fun, this is what convinced me discs are better. A few years ago I rode in my local trails on a nice sunny 20 degree day with my v-brake bike. I went down into a valley, rode thru a creek, up a hill, and along a ridge. Then it was time to go downhill (did I mention it was a 20 degree day and I rode thru water). I went down the hill and at the bottom there was a rather sharp turn. I ended up accelerating while I squeezing my brakes and tested my bikes ability to handle a crash. It turned out that the rims were literally coated with ice.

Whats your story?
    Sixteen wet, muddy, icy, snowy WEsTern Oregon winters of using rim brakes and having the brake levers bottomed out on the bar and still accelerating, wearing out rim sidewalls in a year, wearing out brake pads in 2-3 rides, and having my hands cramp on long descents.

All forgotten after one ride with Avid BBDBs.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratt
    I upgraded to a fork without V-brake posts, was forced to discs through Planned Obsolescence.
    My switch to discs required a new fork (old one had Formula 49mm tabs), new wheels, and making and brazing on a rear disc mount in addition to buying the brakes themselves. Cost nearly as much as the whole bike did.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Because the bike I wanted only came with discs, just like most decent bikes today. Since then, I've found that they are expensive, a maintenance headache, noisy, add weight, complexity, and a measure of unreliability to the bike, and don't stop any better than V brakes. Just my honest opinion.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeDee
    I've found that they are expensive, a maintenance headache, noisy, add weight, complexity, and a measure of unreliability to the bike, and don't stop any better than V brakes. Just my honest opinion.
    Then you have the wrong disc brakes. Mine aren't any of those things.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

i like rocks
    i now wish my road bike had disks....

Double-metric mtb man
    Big, heavy me riding is all sorts of weather, including snow...LBS said that they'd perform better than rim brakes for me, so I tried them...and agreed. Been using discs ever since.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    easier to swap change pads,your wheel dosnt have to be true,wont wear out the rims,better braking in the crap and finally the pads last a good year at least.

NMBP
    Control!

Horizontally Compliant
    One ride on a disc equipped bike made me realize how completely pathetic my V brakes were. Plus, there is no denying the coolness factor...
    Quote Originally Posted by Soupboy
    Thread thread has a strong quasi-Craig's List Casual Encounters Man on Man vibe. I digress. As you were.

SLX
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I used my xc bike to go downhilling with my friends and braked so hard that my v brake clamped ran off the rim into the spokes causing me to crash. A readustment fixed the problem but I got rid of the tekros and got some cheap hayes hfx instead of nice v's.

mtbr member
    Funniest post EVER

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDee
    Because the bike I wanted only came with discs, just like most decent bikes today. Since then, I've found that they are expensive, a maintenance headache, noisy, add weight, complexity, and a measure of unreliability to the bike, and don't stop any better than V brakes. Just my honest opinion.

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Riding in the wet and in the snow with cantilevers and later HS22s made me tired of adjusting brake pads, replacing brake pads, and replacing rims. In '95, XT V-brakes came out, but I hung onto my HS22 until '96, when I got the first Hope DB101 hydraulic disc brake, later known as C2 Sport. I've never looked back. In all those years, I've only had one failure, and that was a slow leak on the rear brake on the first Hope. After that, disc brakes have given me no mechanical failures that affected my ride.

Ole.

customized
    Sep 2003
    Constantly cleaning. adjusting and hating of v-brakes. They just don't slow you down when the trail get's steep and mucky.

POG
    Pudgy Old Guy
    May 2004

Bought a used bike...

which happened to have discs...will never go back to Vs.

Don't touch me!
    The loss of power and the awful grinding noise after going through mud. Went disc in the front to try it out, liked it, and then the rear followed (to 100% get rid of the noise).
    [SIZE=3]No offense to KB, but if I see another "Strong, light, cheap. Pick two" line on this site...

[/SIZE][SIZE=1]MCM# eleventy billion

[SIZE=2]No offense to thieves, but if I see another "Ride it like you stole it" line on this site...[/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast