mtbr member

What size disk brakes???

I am looking at getting a set of avid mechanicals for my HT and Full sus. I have a jamis dakar pro and komodo. I weigh in at 260lbs. Would the 7 or 8 in be better than the 6 for my weight. Most of my riding is XC. Also my HT has the 22mm frame mounts. Has anyone had a problem running the adapter on their frame?

The wheelset I am getting is the sun rhyno lite xt hub wheelset from pricepoint. Anyone have problems with pricepoints wheelsets?

Thanks for the help

Pherret

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Big == better

Quote Originally Posted by pherret
    I am looking at getting a set of avid mechanicals for my HT and Full sus. I have a jamis dakar pro and komodo. I weigh in at 260lbs. Would the 7 or 8 in be better than the 6 for my weight. Most of my riding is XC. Also my HT has the 22mm frame mounts. Has anyone had a problem running the adapter on their frame?

The wheelset I am getting is the sun rhyno lite xt hub wheelset from pricepoint. Anyone have problems with pricepoints wheelsets?

Thanks for the help

Pherret
    I can't speak to the frame compatibility, but for brakes I would go with 200mm front, 185 rear at least, and possibly 200 rear. I go about 230 and I run the 200/185 combo, and it is great. With the bigger discs, since you don't have to grip so hard, it's easier to modulate. I have bought one set of wheels from Pricepoint, and they are fine.

El K.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pherret

Thanks for the help

Pherret
    I am 230 and I run a 145/165 Hydro Hope Minis. I love these brakes. For Avids I would Go 165/185. If you do not have a 20mm axle on the front you can have to much brake. Most fork Manufactures void the warrenty for anything over 185mm if the axle is QR. Good wheel choice. The Rhyno Lite is a good big guy rim. Check with Sun and Shimano to make sure they will warrenty items bought from Price Point. Some Companies won't. Good luck with the adapter. I have never used one.