mtbr member

What size bb7 to get? Going mullet style.

Hi, I have a '97 GT LTS-1 and bought a '05 Marzocchi MX Pro ETA 120mm for it last year. I am stuck with v-brakes on the back, but will be adding some BB7's to the front. If this matters, I will be running 8 speed Deore XT rapidfire combo levers with the little lever travel adust roller removed.

I bought a used disc front wheel, and it came with an Avid 160mm rotor installed. This rotor is an added bonus, but I wonder if I would be happier with a larger rotor on the front. I am not afraid of radically different braking power front and rear. The new wheel is cheap and heavy, but the straight gauge spokes will make it stiff.

Knowing that I ride on dusty, steep, rocky and technical trails in the Rockies, would you get 160mm Avid BB7's and have a spare rotor, or get the 185's for more power and greater heat dissapition. Remember I will still have v-brakes on the back.

I have never used disc brakes, and am stoked. Thanks for the advice. I gotta keep this cheap so I can get a new bike next summer, so no disc's on the back.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    the 185s are great..and although Marzocchi doesn't approve..I have run them (185s) in MXs and Marathons without issue... the adapter for the 160 is about $6, so you could always switch back if it is too much (since you already have the rotor)

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    the 185s are great..and although Marzocchi doesn't approve..I have run them (185s) in MXs and Marathons without issue... the adapter for the 160 is about $6, so you could always switch back if it is too much (since you already have the rotor)
    Or de-tune the brake. Easy to do with BB7s. More likely you will learn to use a light touch on the front brake and love it.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common