• avid juicy ultimate

12 15.19%
  • other...

41 51.90%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

what should i get?

well i have come to enjoy a good set of brakes. As some recent misshaps could have been avoided with some. I also like to have more then enough braking power.

my list of brake ideas...
    hayes stroker trail
    avid juicy 7 or ultimate
    magura(but what kind?)

what would you guys recommend or what is something i didnt think of that you would recommend. I live in michigan. Not much for mountains but plenty of hills and i commute semi-regularly in the summer time.

thanks for the help guys!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Can you give a bit more context? What kind of riding do you do? I'm not familiar with Michigan unfortunately, is it rocky, muddy, slippery, ... What are your priorities in a brake? Modulation, power, price, serviceability, weight, looks... What kind of bike is it going on? A bit more context should result in better advise

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i hoping the following mess makes sense...

Michigan is either dirt, mud or sand. i do light trail riding currently but plan to hit harder more aggressive trail this next season.

Price is not a priority. I have months until next season to save for these.
    Power and modulation are top priorities. With serviceability close 3rd, im good with tools and learning. So service ability for me means that i dont need to take it to a shop for new pads or a bleed. That if i buy the right allen wrenches and a bleed kit, i am able to do it myself. As with needed service after every ride, that wont bother me as i constantly tweak the bike anyways.

the bike is a 2007 gary fisher w/ tora 302 100mm fork, mavic cross ride, ritchy sealed headset, thomson seatpost/stem, easton carbon bar, ultralight tubes, michellen country rock tires, current brakes are bb7
    Last edited by devanmc; 11-28-2008 at 08:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Avid Elixer CRs are incredible!
    Best modulation ive ever felt. Great power. And sram has great CS, especially since your one day away.

Ive rode and worked on everything. and when i bought these i was blown away.

mtbr member
    Formula The Ones are a great brake.

I think I need to Upgrade
    Hope Brakes, more specificaly the Mono Minis, they are Powerful, great modulation, and you can fully rebuild them, if you ever need to that is.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Hmm, Michigan sounds very much like the conditions I ride in, dirt, mud, or sand. All Hopes are built very nice and are indeed fully rebuildable. As a bonus, you can substract the bleedkit from the price as you don't need one. If you want a somewhat more aggressive setup, then an M4 front and Mini rear might be a nice combo for you. Or Mini all around, the 2009 should be more powerful than the 2008/2007. Magura is also pretty solid and you should probably be looking at the Louise line there.

Custom User Title
    Anything Formula. I have the "The One" and K24's. both are great. I think the One might be a little too much break. I ride hard and expect my breaks to stop me instantly. These do the job with light lever feel and great modulation. There is no need to put a second finger on the lever, ever.

my .02
    Team MOJO Wheels.

offroader
    Dec 2008
    I own a pair of Juicy 7 (07 model) and 2 sets of Stroker Trail. I have had no problems with brake fade with the Strokers, while the Juicy 7's felt a little under powered. I'll try to bleed the Juicy's one more time just to make sure. But the Strokers are sure strong.

Hack Racer
    hope mini x2 pro.

Flaccid Member
    You should got to the top of this page, then click on "reviews" then click on "disc brakes"

Read the reviews... look for the ones with stars to find the ones people are most satisfied with. Myself, I run stuff far steeper than Michigan, and I'm glad my bike came with Formula Oro k18's.

I will say this, running in mud and sand is extremely hard on any caliper brake system on a bike, and will require detailed maintenance immediately after such riding conditons. Get the muck, grit and crap out and away from the calipers and mechanism, long before it cakes up on them and dries or gets imbedded in the braking surfaces.
    Detail your calipers after any mud ride, and certainly each and every time you wear out your pads and need to change them. Lack of routine maintenance leads to brake failure, these aren't just set them and run when mud, grit and sand is involved. Clean them up, all the working surfaces, with a brush and soapy water.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Hand/of/Midas
    Avid Elixer CRs are incredible!
    Best modulation ive ever felt. Great power. And sram has great CS, especially since your one day away.

Ive rode and worked on everything. and when i bought these i was blown away.
    Do they blow away the Hope Mono Mini Pros? I'm looking at the CR's and the Mini Pros.

BB

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    new XT's! just get pre-bled...

TLL
    mtbr member
    Shimano XT or

Formula K24s.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

Joey
    Mar 2008
    I will swear by the avid "elixiers"!!!
    probly the most powerful brakes one the market other than Codes.
    had juicy 3's and switched to elixiers!!!
    HUGE difference!!!
    it felt like 10 times more braking power!
    they are pretty cheap to

banned
    Mar 2004
    Dude...get the Hope Mono Minis right now and enjoy! I've had 4 sets of Hopes on 4 different bikes and loved all of them. Ditto about their bleed kit. It's a pain and you don't need it. I currently have the Mono M4's on my Specy SJ FSR. 8" in the front and 7" in the rear. Plenty of brakes for the MTs and plenty modulation with "1" finger!

Hack Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbikernc69
    Dude...get the Hope Mono Minis right now and enjoy! I've had 4 sets of Hopes on 4 different bikes and loved all of them. Ditto about their bleed kit. It's a pain and you don't need it. I currently have the Mono M4's on my Specy SJ FSR. 8" in the front and 7" in the rear. Plenty of brakes for the MTs and plenty modulation with "1" finger!
    I'm about to place an order for the Hope Mini X2 Pros. Can you shed some more light to the bleeding procedure? You mentioned that the bleed kit is not needed?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    There is a nice video on the Hope web-site. You just need a short length of plastic hose that fits over the bleed nipple at the caliper and of course some DOT (4 or 5.1), i.e. no need for a bleed kit. You use the brake lever to pump the oil through the system.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Formula makes the best brakes on the market! Get the Bianco or Puro.

Hack Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by cascades
    There is a nice video on the Hope web-site. You just need a short length of plastic hose that fits over the bleed nipple at the caliper and of course some DOT (4 or 5.1), i.e. no need for a bleed kit. You use the brake lever to pump the oil through the system.
    Nice. So it is just like bleeding brakes on a motorcycle or car. I hate all hose damn syringes or contraptions that the other manufacturers make you use.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Usually a lurker on the site, but I have to chime in on this.

Buy Hope and never look back. Shimano disc brakes don't even come close to Hope disc brakes. They are expensive, but you really get what you pay for. I think the worst disc brake I have ever owned was Shimano's XT.

I have owned different brands throughout the years, but I usually end up trying them for a month or two and then get rid of them and go back to Hope.

One thing about reviews on this site, don't really give any credence to a high review that only has 1 or 2 reviewers. Look for reviews with large numbers of people commenting on the part and go with the highest rated one. This is really the only way you are going to get a properly reviewed item.

Also, I would definitely say brakes have a lot to do with riding style. I have an older Hope that is adjustable on the fly, I just turn a knob on the master cylinder and it lets me adjust lever travel (good for DH when you can potentially eat up a good amt. of pad). It works the opposite way and lets me loosen it up to force myself to stay faster (again, a personal preference). I think it is an XC4, an older model but I would never get rid of it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    If cost is no object, you're looking for power and modulation and you'll be going more aggressive with your riding then I'd go with Formula The One brakes. Unbelievable power and even more unbelievable modulation without being grabby at all. They are also super easy to set up and work on too. A few of my riding buddies also roll with Formulas and won't go back either.

Good luck.

JP

TLL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cognizance8

One thing about reviews on this site, don't really give any credence to a high review that only has 1 or 2 reviewers. Look for reviews with large numbers of people commenting on the part and go with the highest rated one. This is really the only way you are going to get a properly reviewed item.
    Excellent info here. A shame you didn't like XT's, as I never had an issue with them other than the persistent squeal.

A far as reviews go, I'll agree that reviews with a larger number of comments (larger sample size) tend to be more accurate--to a point. All the reviews on this site have to be taken with a grain of salt, as some posters deliberately post misinformation, and others tend to misuse the 1-5 rating system. Regardless, the reviews are better than nothing at all.

Hopes are highly rated, for good reason.

A couple of posters mentioned Formulas. I would not recommend Formula The ONES for riding hills or flats, as they are a true downhill brake, and will not even bed in unless you consistently and regularly ride some long descents. I would not put a downhill brake on a 100mm travel bike, period (which is what OP has). The Oro line or the new R1s are a better choice for what the OP said is his/her riding terrain/bike. The MEGAs are the same way--They really need some steep or fast runs to bed in properly. I run MEGAs, BTW.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    formula the one, amazing brakes, i really want them, but unfortunately money has left me with clark 6pot brakes
    Lol, get a step stool and put it in a doorway. Then stand on it and jump up until you slam your head on the doorway.

Joey
    Mar 2008
    Forumula Sux, Avid is where it is at!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast