mtbr member
    Mar 2012

What shimano brake adapter(s) would I use?

Hi

Up front...

I have a "post brake mount" fork (manitou tower pro 9mm QR) and I have a BR-M975 "is type" caliper. So could someone tell me what mount i need to use a 160mm rotor...

Also, in the rear...

I have a "is brake mount" and I have a BR-M975 "is type" caliper. So could someone tell me what mount i need to use a 160mm rotor...

tia
    F!

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Which calipers do you have?

Photo: XTR 975 Calipers

The caliper in the left is 180mm front/160mm rear and the caliper on the right is for 160mm front/140mm rear.

mtbr member
    Rear:
    If the M975 caliper is a rear caliper, then no adapter is needed for the rear. But if it is a front caliper then you need a +20mm adapter (so a front IS to IS 180mm adapter will work on the rear with a 160mm rotor).

As for your front, see this post: Brake adapters??, particularly number 4.

Tim

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    If the Tower has a short bottom post mount like on the Minute below, I don't think that the 160mm KCNC adapter would work.
    The OP would have to use a 180mm rotor/adapter which the fork below has.

Last edited by cobba; 09-29-2012 at 08:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Hi

Thanks to everyone for the information. I have (1) of each, (1) 160/140, and (1) 180/160. I guess seeing that there is no way to use a 160mm rotor on the front, I will have to sell the BR-M975 calipers and get some new BR-M985 post calipers, that way I can use 160mm rotor(s) on both the front and rear. I did try the KCNC 160mm, 74mm post fork to 51mm is caliper mount but it didn't work because my manitou tower pro has a "short post" on the bottom and "long post" on top, which the KCNC mount doesn't support. As a side note... it only supports the opposite direction, like on my fox fork.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    just to update...

I am really happy because I just found a new BR-M975P for $40.00 shipped on CL, (happy me!) Anyways... thanks again for everyone be so helpful!