lurker no more

New question here. What part(s) to replace?

THE BACKGROUND: Two days ago I was riding at the Colonnade Bike Park in Seattle when I took a good endo off a rotating (it swings left to right as you pass the midway point) teeter totter. I've got 2005 Juicy 7 brakes. Upon bike inspection the rear brake lever (on my drive side) was severly tweaked and I had lost the majority of brake bite/power within 5 minutes. And that was pretty much the end of that, though I did still manage to limp along fairly well with just a front brake and met one of FMs buds, Jeff---awesome dude.

THE SUPPOSED FIX: Today I rebled the brakes and initially the lever stopped nicely with minimal finger squeeze. But after 5 or six squeezes it's back to no power/bite even with the lever blade pulled almost back to the grip. The pad adjust contact points are all the way out too. This is my third attempt to bleed brakes, but I've think I've got that part down as my second attempt at bleeding brakes had no problems and I had good power/bite after that second bleed.

THE QUESTION: So it seems that my brake system develops an air leak immediately after re-bleeding and pumping the brakes a few times (is that the case?)...if so, the questions is this:

What parts do I need aside from a new brake lever? A new master cylinder and reservoir too? Or am I really hosed and am going to have to get a whole new rear brake sans rotor?

Thanks!

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    could be a hose along with the lever body but i doubt it. my guess is its just the lever and/or lever body. should be cheap enough to replace both as a unit. call yer lbs. ya might be back on the bike by mid week.
    No, I'm NOT back!

ride hard take risks
    Could be the fitting of the hose to the master cylinder. I would try backing off the nut, cut the hose just past the old compression fitting install new compression fitting and re-install nut, bleed system and report back either ya or nay.

http://www.spadout.com/p/avid-05-06-...itting-bag-10/
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Not sure what this had to do with Turners...
    Anyways, no need to keep your shifters/brakes super tight on your handlebar. Tighten them enough so they don't move, but if you crash they will just rotate around next time.

Is there DOT fluid leaking somewhere? Sounds like somethings cracked/broken and there would be fluid. As you know its fairly clear and might be hard to see.
    www.mtbiker.ca

My Rides:
    FSR XC -R7 Platinum - SRAM X7 (26.5lbs)
    Cervelo SLC - SRAM Rival - Reynolds DV46T (16.25 lbs)

lurker no more
    Quote Originally Posted by bbgobie
    Not sure what this had to do with Turners...
    Anyways, no need to keep your shifters/brakes super tight on your handlebar. Tighten them enough so they don't move, but if you crash they will just rotate around next time.

Is there DOT fluid leaking somewhere? Sounds like somethings cracked/broken and there would be fluid. As you know its fairly clear and might be hard to see.
    What it has to do with Turners? Absolutely nothing, just thougt I'd post it up there as the homers over there seem to dispense sage advice to ham-fisted hack mechanics like myself.

Thanks for the tips...thought I didn't tighten the brake clamp that tight, but that's not the case.

Didn't see any obvious DOT fluid leaking anywhere, but as you mentioned it's pretty clear and easy to miss. But I'm thinking there must be a leak somewhere or else air wouldn't get into the system and have the lever go from nice and tight to loose so quickly after a re-bleed. The squeeze on the lever doesn't necessarily feel very spongy, but just bends all the way back to the grips without resistance.

lurker no more
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    Could be the fitting of the hose to the master cylinder. I would try backing off the nut, cut the hose just past the old compression fitting install new compression fitting and re-install nut, bleed system and report back either ya or nay.

http://www.spadout.com/p/avid-05-06-...itting-bag-10/
    Gracias, dogonfr...when I get the chance I'll check out the hose fitting too. It would be nice it that were to be the case, rather than order up a new lever and master cylinder!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I can only think of 2 things happening. There is a leak which you need to find. (Plus the dot fluid would be eating away at your tires, floor, paint by now)

Or the piston is broken or some part thereof.
    If this is the case I imagine if you turn the level horizontal like during the last part of the bleed process, open the bleed screw and squeeze the lever, fluid won't come out. Since the lever/piston is not really doing anything.
    www.mtbiker.ca

My Rides:
    FSR XC -R7 Platinum - SRAM X7 (26.5lbs)
    Cervelo SLC - SRAM Rival - Reynolds DV46T (16.25 lbs)