mtbr member
    Jan 2004

What the lighest XC set up? XTR,Matra SL,Hope Mini

Hi what are the lightest brakes around for XC?

What do XTR come in at weight wise?

Magura Marta Sl,s

Hope Mini ?

I like the look of the Hope mini range. But would like to know which ones will help lighten my bike.

Thanks

I love Pisgah
    Formula 03 B4Pro and SL series are measurably lighter then any of those. The 04s got heavier tho, being about the same as the Martas.

I think out of those its the Marta SLs. The heaviest is the XTRs. The Hopes do look good. Nice machine work.

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by KleinAttitude
    Hi what are the lightest brakes around for XC?

What do XTR come in at weight wise?

Magura Marta Sl,s

Hope Mini ?

I like the look of the Hope mini range. But would like to know which ones will help lighten my bike.

Thanks
    Here are some actual XC disc brake system weights. These include: front/rear levers, front/rear full length lines with fluid, front/rear calipers, front/rear rotors, and all bolts, pads, etc. No BS!

Of those listed, the Marta SLs are the lightest (706g/set). My Mono Minis were 770g/set. My XTR/XTs were ~822g/set. My Minis were 823g/set.

But, my lightest were my Formula B4 SLs (631/g set). My Formula B4 SL+ were 679g/set.

Of all these brakes, my 2 favs are the Formula B4 SLs and the Magura Marta SLs. Each has incredible power and modulation, considering their scant size and weight. The Formulas have the slight edge in terms of modulation, but for overall power and feel, the winner is the Magura Marta SL...love those carbon levers! Lastly, each brake is backed by the best in the Biz (Thorsten at Formula and Jimi, Lonnie and Jude at Magura), so you are covered there if you have any issues.

While I liked the XTR/XTs (nice power, modulation and feel), I had the well-known sticky piston syndrome (SPS) and had to have my brakes warrantied, despite numerous attempts to fix it myself with multiple different remedies. The warrantied brakes were quickly sold to a friend even before being used again and he's reported some slight SPS again, so they'll likely be warrantied again once the season slows.

As for the Mono Minis, I just didn't like them. Yes, they are beautifully CNC'd, but they just lacked any "feel" compared to the Formulas and Maguras. They almost felt dead and/or wooden. Also, mine squealed like pigs, be it wet or dry. I sold 'em.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the reply. The Formulas sound nice. But I have been reading a few negative reports about their parts and service.

Marta Sl,s look good

But the Hopes look the best.

Its a hard choice. I want to build a bike that is light strong and durable but no over heavy.

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by KleinAttitude
    Thanks for the reply. The Formulas sound nice. But I have been reading a few negative reports about their parts and service.

Marta Sl,s look good

But the Hopes look the best.

Its a hard choice. I want to build a bike that is light strong and durable but no over heavy.
    Yes, earlier Formulas did have some durability issues. I had 2 busted levers (one of which was my fault) on my original B4s, but my B4 SLs and B4 SL+s have been very durable. Service with the Formulas is not an issue...just email Thorsten (Brakemeister) and he'll help you out with any Formula issues.

Yes, Hopes do look the best. Beautifully CNC'd, no plastic, etc. Aesthetically beautiful. But, they are lacking where it counts (power, modulation, noise, etc.) compared to the other brakes. But, this is just my opinion.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    How much do the Formulas retail at?

I am UK based and will prob find it hard to source some.

We have alot of Hope in our shops .