mtbr member
    Jan 2004

What levers can I use with XTR calipers

Hi I am looking to buy XTR calipers and SRAM X-0 grip shifters. My problem is deciding on what levers to use.

What possible options do I have.

Thanks

mtbr member
    The "older" XT levers will work fine.

mtbr member
    I heard a rumor that Hope was offering (or going to be offering) mineral oil seal kits for their levers. I don't know how the cylinder displacement matches up, but I assume that (XTR calipers) would be the market they are going for (if such a product even exists) If available the Hope lever would be light years above the old XT or (more recent) Deore levers for leveraging XTR calipers.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL
    The "older" XT levers will work fine.
    They are the [size=-1]BLM-756 levers. I've been running the XT/XTR setup for over a year now, no problems at all.[/size]

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    They are the [size=-1]BLM-756 levers. I've been running the XT/XTR setup for over a year now, no problems at all.[/size]
    Though I have since sold my XTR brakes, when i did run them, I too used the 756 XT Hydro levers and was always very happy with the levers....it was the calipers that drove me to sell the set.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

How?

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy
    I heard a rumor that Hope was offering (or going to be offering) mineral oil seal kits for their levers. I don't know how the cylinder displacement matches up, but I assume that (XTR calipers) would be the market they are going for (if such a product even exists) If available the Hope lever would be light years above the old XT or (more recent) Deore levers for leveraging XTR calipers.
    Grumpy: How would a Hope lever be "light years" above the XT M-756 levers? Just in weight, or lever feel and modulation. Or are you just spewing blatant speculation?

mtbr member
    No I have actually owned/used both, my question is why are you so hostile? Brother in law work for Shimano?

My left Shimano lever suffered from a slow return and sometimes a falure to completely return (kind of felt like a dirty brake cable) It was diagnosed as a sticky master cilinder piston which was replaced under warranty (shipping and labor was not included however) after that it was good( but not ever great) feel for either lever.

The Hope Mono4's that replaced the Shimano system are in a different league. The feel and modulation (but the modulation could be the calipers) of the levers are outstanding and they are considerably lighter. Hey I'm not a shimano basher (I use XTR derr's and shifters pods) and i'm sure that the new XTR all in one system is really cool (I have never used it) but if you had ever used both levers you would realize how silly you statement is/was. The Hope levers are not in the same league as the XT's it is as simple as that.

EDIT:
    I forgot one of the things that really drove me to replace the Shimano's; the inability to obtain rebuild parts. Shimano does not permit disassembly of the levers so if the seals get sticky or begin to weep your option is- to replace the entire lever.
    Last edited by Grumpy; 02-11-2005 at 09:49 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I cant seem to find the old XT levers anymore.

Which brings me to another question.

How good are XTR brakes? Is the mineral oil thing an issue. I heard Hope use Dot fluid but they weigh more.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by KleinAttitude

How good are XTR brakes? Is the mineral oil thing an issue. I heard Hope use Dot fluid but they weigh more.
    Shouldn't be hard to find.....here is just one example

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...6&category=350

In terms of the brakes, there is not a single brake that you will find that is not praised or hated by some.....so all you will get is a single personal experience, good or bad; basically, subjective opinions.

having said that, i actually liked my XTR (with XT hydro levers) quite a bit. The frustration I personally had was with the constant readjustment of the calipers and/or sticky piston (both on my original set and new set based on warranty replacement). but the power was very good as well as the modulation.

i currently run magura brakes on both my bikes so clearly i am now biased toward magura. I have also owned hayes hydro brakes which were very reliable in general. i run marta sl brakes on my xc bike and magura louise freeride brakes on my all mountain bike and could not be happier.

cheers
    Last edited by FoShizzle; 02-11-2005 at 12:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Sorry...

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy
    No I have actually owned/used both, my question is why are you so hostile? Brother in law work for Shimano?

My left Shimano lever suffered from a slow return and sometimes a falure to completely return (kind of felt like a dirty brake cable) It was diagnosed as a sticky master cilinder piston which was replaced under warranty (shipping and labor was not included however) after that it was good( but not ever great) feel for either lever.

The Hope Mono4's that replaced the Shimano system are in a different league. The feel and modulation (but the modulation could be the calipers) of the levers are outstanding and they are considerably lighter. Hey I'm not a shimano basher (I use XTR derr's and shifters pods) and i'm sure that the new XTR all in one system is really cool (I have never used it) but if you had ever used both levers you would realize how silly you statement is/was. The Hope levers are not in the same league as the XT's it is as simple as that.

EDIT:
    I forgot one of the things that really drove me to replace the Shimano's; the inability to obtain rebuild parts. Shimano does not permit disassembly of the levers so if the seals get sticky or begin to weep your option is- to replace the entire lever.
    Sorry G-man, I did not mean to be hostile, I just did not see the point of your blanket statement without any examples of how you think the Hope levers are better. Now we have the reasons. Personally I love the lever shape and solid feel of the XT levers, and have not had any problems with them yet. They are too heavy for my tastes though. Does anyon know if these rumors of mineral oil seals for Hope's Mini lever are true? Is it possible to buy Shimano compatible levers from Hope?

mtbr member

XT levers ?

Both 755 and 756 levers will work, as well as the deore (I believe) since the banjo fitting on the caliper is the same.
    Pricepoint, CBO, speedgoat all have the 756 levers.

the brakes are good. Shimano's warranty is good too if you do run in to problems

Oni
    Master Of Fooliganism

Is it a rumour?

I've also heard that Hope was making a seal kit to run their calipers with Shimano levers. That's what I've been looking for. Haven't found anything (other then something on a Swiss web site for complete Hope caliper/XT STI set up for a bazillion Euros).

It's come up a couple of times before (I know I've posted on it before) and nothing. A friend swears he saw something on Speedgoat, but when I emailed them, nothing.

Tried emailing Hope. Nothing.

I don't think the seals exist.They may at some point, but nothing right at the moment. Maybe if we bombard Hope with requests???

Oni likes to Hope

Trail rider and racer

The XTR brakes are very good IMHO but one issue I had when I initially got them about a year ago was that the pistons always got stuck and thus braking performance went out the door. A new set of calpers and I have no issues at all. What gets me down though the most with these brakes is that I seem to be forever realigning them. I will get them 'perfect' and then out of nowhere there will be obvious disk rub. It may be my fault but I suspect it is the brake more then me as it continually happens no matter what I try.

Aside from those 2 issue, one of which is not really an issue the brakes offer good braking power, very nice modulation, simple bleed process, reasonable weight and the Shimano reliability most are familiar with.
    Trev!

Trail rider and racer
    Oh by the way if you find either the old Deore Hydro levers or the Hone levers you will be fine to use them with the XTR calipers.
    Trev!