mtbr member

What have I done to my BB7?

I wanted to take the pads out of my front BB7 for a close inspection since I noticed a small groove on one side of the rotor along with a loud "honking" noise when I used it. I've never taken the pads outs before.

I turned both adjusters counter-clockwise to back the pads out, but at some point I noticed that the the outside pad wasn't moving out anymore but was actually touching the other pad! Check out the attached picture.

Now if I turn the outside adjuster in it pushes the pad tighter against the inside pad. If I turn the adjust out it does back the pad out but only a little bit before the pad stops moving but the adjust keeps spinning.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I should have done more searching first. I found the recent questions about the same issue as well as a link to the service manual.

So all I have to do is back out the adjuster all the way (already done) and then push the pressure foot back in, correct? My difficulty is that the pads are still in and I can barely fit the tip a screwdriver between the pads. i can't seem to get the pads out either because the pressure foot is putting a lot of pressure on the pad. Oh well, I will try again tomorrow after work

mtbr member

Update--- Please help!

I've tried following the procedure listed in the BB7 overhaul guide, but no luck.

Here's what it says:
    To replace the pressure foot, turn the outboard adjuster knob counter clockwise until it stops. If the knob doesn’t stop, then the footscrew (you can see the end of the footscrew in the center of the knob) has become disengaged from the knob, and possibly from the threads inside the drive cam. In this case, remove the knob, then use some small needlenosed pliers or a Schrader-valve tool to turn the foot screw all the way back out until it stops. Once this is accomplished the pressure foot can be replaced. Relocate the pressure foot into the bore, then give it a firm push in the center. It will “click” back into place.
    I have the outside adjuster knob turned all the way out, but I can't "relocate the pressure foot" or give it a "firm push" because it does not budge at all. Since I still have the pads in, I had to remove the inboard adjuster to get good leverage from the other side. I am pushing with a large wrench and I can't even get it to budge.
    Attached Images Attached Images

ride hard take risks
    I have never unscrewed the piston/pressure foot but when attempting to rethread two pieces together you need to line up the bolt and nut so they thread together smoothly. Pushing on the foot to engage the bolt is possibly being cocked slightly off so the threads can not engage. Pushing aggressively can actually cross the threads stripping out the foot, bolt or both. Try some lube like Tri-Flow to help things rotate smoothly and a credit card or by hand to try and persuade the threads to slip together smoothly.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member

Next step

I could not get the pressure foot to seat back into the bore with anything I tried. Lucky for me it is an 08 model and I was able to unbolt the other half of the caliper, remove the pads, and get a clear view of what I'm trying to do.

I see exactly what I have to do and where the pressure foot has to go in.

But I still cannot get the foot to seat. It reaches the point where the split ring is and gets stuck because the ring is rather large and won't stay in the groove. I have tried squeezing it with pliers to make it sit tighter, but it springs back to the original shape.

ride hard take risks
    Thanxz for the pics!!! It looks like the spring clip has been stretched so it wont slide into the bore. unless you can get the piston higher at least flush with the caliper body you can then work on getting the spring clip into the bore. Give Jack and Will a call and see if they have a spare caliper.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    Thanxz for the pics!!! It looks like the spring clip has been stretched so it wont slide into the bore. unless you can get the piston higher at least flush with the caliper body you can then work on getting the spring clip into the bore. Give Jack and Will a call and see if they have a spare caliper.
    Good idea on the piston. If I find a way to keep force on the arm then the piston would stay further out. Rubber bands?

Unfortunately this is "do or die" for me. I have a race tomorrow morning; one I have been looking forward to all summer, and one of only two races near me this fall. My last option would be to pull the Hayes MX-2 caliper from my wife's bike so have I something to brake with

mtbr member
    Having the piston pushed out made it easier to see what I'm doing.

I can see that the top of the bore is tapered, but this is making it hard for me. I can hold the spring clip in place with a screwdriver while try to push the foot in, but once the spring clip is inside the tapered section I can't reach it anymore and the size of the opening allows it to pop back out of place.

any ideas?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    try to squeeze the spring clip back to where it should be and keep pushing. It looks like there's a gap in the ring. Squeeze it till the ends touch, then push the foot back in.

That's the only thing I can think of as I have these brakes, but have NOT worked on them yet. Therefore, I take no responsibility if anything brakes further. (ha ha, no pun intended).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryank930
    try to squeeze the spring clip back to where it should be and keep pushing. It looks like there's a gap in the ring. Squeeze it till the ends touch, then push the foot back in.
    thanks. I can squeeze the ring closed with pliers, but it has very strong memory and expands right back to the same size. As I explained in my last post, I can hold it closed and in place while inserting until it gets to a point where I can't reach it anymore but it isn't in the hole yet.

mtbr member

Consider it closed

Apparently working for a bike shop gives you magic powers, haha. I got off work early and took the caliper to an lbs. He had some problems at first too, but was somehow able to squeeze the ring better while inserting the foot.

The race is on!!

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    Apparently working for a bike shop gives you magic powers, haha. I got off work early and took the caliper to an lbs. He had some problems at first too, but was somehow able to squeeze the ring better while inserting the foot.

The race is on!!
    Whooohooo awesome news now go kick some arzz

Sounds like you have a great LBS that will do whatever it takes to get the job done, I hate these new text book techs to much about the part isn't available so you need a new one, bring them a 12 pack.
    Formotion Products