Thread: What happened?

FReak

What happened?

Ok,

So I bled my Avid Ultimates tonight and went out and test rode the bike, turns out, the back brake lever(right side), will not click back.

Normally,, the levers are at about 30 degrees, then you can click them out with an audible "click". to 45 degrees.

Now, after bleeding, the lever is stuck out at 45 degrees and when you pull it back towards the bar, it does not click and goes right back to 45 degrees.

Any ideas?

ps, I fooled with the reach adjust and didn't change a thing
    2010 Specialized Demo 8 II (Upgraded to II from I)
    2008 Specialized Enduro SL Expert

I am a pathetic rider...
    Sep 2007
    Brake Levers with audible clicks? something must be up? or is this some sort of new "feature" of juicy's?
    Save the Earth, Ride a Cyclist

FReak
    Don't know if it's a new feature or not but the point is is that the lever won't come back to the regular position

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    On Juicy's you can push the lever out - it clicks and will hold there till you pull it back. I think from memory this is to give you more room to get to an adjusment screw or some such.

But yes it should definitely "click" back. not sure what you have done. if you mucked around with adjustment screw my suggestino would be to adjust it back to where it was and see if that helps.

FReak
    I tried but the adjustment screw stripped out. POS. Anyway, the front bake is rubbing too now and I have realligned the caliper and fooled with the pad contact adjust but nothing helps. Ideas?

Meh.
    The knob DOES NOT affect pad position.

Reset the pistons and center the caliper. If the pistons will not retract enough, the system is overfilled. Make sure the hub is free of play. Make sure the wheel is inserted in the dropouts and clamped correctly.

The lever hyperextends to help isolate damage during the crash. It's a plastic sleeve. It can sometimes deform and needs to be replaced. This would not have been resultant of a bleed.

FReak
    Yeah I don't know but then again it's not a big deal.