mtbr member
    Sep 2005

What fluid should I buy for Avid Elixir CR?

Newbie question here.

I have some Elixir CRs in need of a bleed. I assume I need the Avid DOT 5.1 fluid I see advertised on the net. It looks like 12 bucks for 4 oz. Anyone found where I can get a bigger quantity and buy in bulk so to speak. I think I paid 20 bucks for a liter of shimano mineral oil a while back.

Side question, is the the Avid DOT 5.1 the fluid for the Reverb seatpost also?

mtbr member
    Auto parts store for your 5.1
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mitzikatzi View Post
    Auto parts store for your 5.1
    Didnt think of that. Thanks. Any certain one I need, or just gone in there and find something that says DOT 5.1.

Look at the time!
    just gone in there and find something that says DOT 5.1.
    this
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mastakilla View Post
    Newbie question here.

I have some Elixir CRs in need of a bleed. I assume I need the Avid DOT 5.1 fluid I see advertised on the net. It looks like 12 bucks for 4 oz. Anyone found where I can get a bigger quantity and buy in bulk so to speak. I think I paid 20 bucks for a liter of shimano mineral oil a while back.
    Be careful about storing an opened container of brake fluid I've heard that it quickly absorbs moisture.

Hope this helps
    Matt

LightJunction.com
    Brake fluid is about the only thing I wouldn't recommend buying in bulk. As Matt said, DOT brake fluid absorbs moisture from the air, which lowers the boiling temperature of the fluid, meaning that your brakes don't have to heat up as much to boil the fluid, thus creating air pockets in your brake lines. Air pockets = squishy levers and less power.

You won't be bleeding your brakes or adding fluid very frequently at all (at least, you shouldn't). I'd buy the smallest container that will get the job done.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

mtbr member
    You can also use high temp DOT 4 in place of the 5.1. I've used the Motul RBF600 Dot 4 with my Avid brakes and it works just fine:
    Amazon.com: Motul RBF600 Synthetic DOT 4 Brake Fluid: Automotive

Also for the Reverb... No do not use DOT fluid. The Reverb uses 2.5wt fork oil

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I picked up Motorex dot 5.1 at the local Honda Motorcycle shop. Motorex has the highest boiling point of all the brands, and it was half the price of lesser quality brake fluid form the local bike shop.

If you can't find dot 5.1, dot 4 with a high boiling point will perform better than Dot 5.1 with low boiling point, but you should drain all the 5.1 before switching over to 4. Also dot 5.1 has a different viscosity than 4 so it's recommended. Avid uses 5.1 and so does Hope. Shimano uses mineral oil because it doesn't absorb moisture form the air like dot fluids.

Avoid Dot 5. It's synthetic, silicone based, not oil based like dot 4 and 5.1. It will gum up when mixed with dot 5.1.

I paid under $10 Canadian for my can of Motorex dot 5.1 with a wet boiling point of over 356'F, that's the highest on the market.

mtbr member
    You can use Valvoline synthetic Brake Fluid from any auto store. Compatible with DOT5.1
    Last edited by Dictatorsaurus; 03-28-2012 at 09:49 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Gondo View Post
    Avoid Dot 5. It's synthetic, silicone based, not oil based like dot 4 and 5.1. It will gum up when mixed with dot 5.1.
    What he said. Never, ever, ever use silicone-based (DOT 5) fluids in a system designed for glycol-based brake fluid (DOTs 3, 4, 5.1). The rubber seals will swell and deteriorate. As long as it is DOT but not DOT 5, you should be safe.

cycle dad
    Quote Originally Posted by anlin View Post
    What he said. Never, ever, ever use silicone-based (DOT 5) fluids in a system designed for glycol-based brake fluid (DOTs 3, 4, 5.1). The rubber seals will swell and deteriorate. As long as it is DOT but not DOT 5, you should be safe.
    Gotta say, I have a spare set of avid juicy 5's I put dot 5 in about 1 year ago. I drained all the old stuff, filled it with 5, drained it again and then filled it again. The only negative outcome is they fell a little squishy. Of course that is no surprise since dot 5 tends to soak up air instead of water. This is on a bike I seldom use. It is an xc rig so the brakes seldom get super hot. I will post when they fail. Possibly from the hostpital. Then i will buy nitrile seals so can keep using the less caustic not hydrophilic high temp brake fluid. All brakes should use that stuff.

mtbr member
    Tagged For Future Reference.
    Speed Kills...It kills those that don't have it!
    German Engineering in Da Haus, Ja!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Gondo View Post
    I picked up Motorex dot 5.1 at the local Honda Motorcycle shop. Motorex has the highest boiling point of all the brands, and it was half the price of lesser quality brake fluid form the local bike shop.

If you can't find dot 5.1, dot 4 with a high boiling point will perform better than Dot 5.1 with low boiling point, but you should drain all the 5.1 before switching over to 4. Also dot 5.1 has a different viscosity than 4 so it's recommended. Avid uses 5.1 and so does Hope. Shimano uses mineral oil because it doesn't absorb moisture form the air like dot fluids.

I paid under $10 Canadian for my can of Motorex dot 5.1 with a wet boiling point of over 356'F, that's the highest on the market.
    I know this is old but just thought I'd recommend you have a look at the table on the Wikipedia entry for DOT 5.1 (sorry, can't link because of low post count...)

The MINIMUM wet boiling point for DOT 5.1 is 374'F...

Also apparently the reason lower DOT numbered fluids often have higher dry boiling points than higher DOT numbers is that they don't have the required WET boiling point to meet that specification, as they are generally for racing and therefore changed very often.