mtbr member
    Jan 2004

What does the old Specialized Disc Adapter fit?

Does anyone know what this is compatabile with? I have one in my possesion and want to use it - I'll be matching it up with a XT Disc hub. I hope its compatible with a Avid 160mm. Also, would it be ok to have a SD 7 V-Brake on the front and a disc on the back? Thanks.

http://www.specialized.com/SBCEqProd...kxb8ie2.j27004
    Last edited by Burpethead; 02-08-2004 at 04:31 PM.

Official ***** Idiot
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Burpethead
    Does anyone know what this is compatabile with? I have one in my possesion and want to use it - I'll be matching it up with a XT Disc hub. I hope its compatible with a Avid 160mm. Also, would it be ok to have a SD 7 V-Brake on the front and a disc on the back? Thanks.

http://www.specialized.com/SBCEqProd...kxb8ie2.j27004
    Ahhh the more things change.......

Ok, brief rundown. It may or may NOT fit new disc brakes. It has to be 51mm spacing for IS mounts. If it's a 2000 model or older, it won't work, except with pre-2000 brakes.

And no, it's not a good idea to run a disc in the rear and V's in front.......where do you want your stopping power and control? The front.......I would put the V on the rear, and the disc on the front. If you don't have a fork with disc tabs, it's 2004, and you're looooooong overdue for an upgrade.

Anyway, no, I would NOT suggest the disc on the rear, for one reason. The disc is much more powerful, and will overpower the front brake easily. So, if you're going down a hill, too fast, and you hit your front brake, your next instinct is to hit your rear brake, as V's don't stop quite as fast (which is why we go to discs, right?). With the added power on the rear..............well, you can guess. Rear wheel lockage, as all your weight is on the front of the bike, followed by a nice gouge down the middle of the trail.......then somebody like me who spends hours grooming and caring for that trail will have to come fix it, then probably feed you your rear disc without the benefit of ketchup.

mtbr member
    The mounts are standard IS mounts. Any modern brake should work.

Official ***** Idiot
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon
    The mounts are standard IS mounts. Any modern brake should work.

Not necessarily......like I said, if it's a 2000 model, or was purchased in 2000, the spacing may be 49mm. The current 51mm spacing wasn't a standard until 2000, and Specialized was one of the last to phase out the old spacing. Chances are good that it IS 51mm, but I'd measure to be sure.

Alpine Rider (Italy)
    in the link specialized says "Complies with International Disc brake standard". i use this adaptor & Shimano Xt (51mm IS) from 2001: i've never had a problem.