Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    57

    What does Avid Brake Rub Sound Like?

    Hi all,

    I am getting a strange noise from the rear of my HT. Every time the wheel goes around I get a tick tack sound. It sounds as if I have a rock stuck in my tire tread. After looking over my tires, no rocks. I've checked that my rotors were tightly secured, checked for play in the hub. Nothing. The only thing that I can see is brake rub. It doesn't sound like any brake rub that I have heard. The bike functions perfectly, and this is more of an annoyance than anything. Has anyone else had anything like this?

  2. #2
    *****************
    Reputation: Bikinfoolferlife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    12,378
    Brake rub is brake rub, it's not brand specific and can take on a few different sounds. Can you literally see the brake rub? Is your rotor true? Is there sufficient space between rotor and pads? Could be your freehub (or freewheel, depending on what you have), too. Try isolating the sound more...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MudInMyEars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    243
    Quote Originally Posted by The Kid 5
    Hi all,

    I am getting a strange noise from the rear of my HT. Every time the wheel goes around I get a tick tack sound. It sounds as if I have a rock stuck in my tire tread. After looking over my tires, no rocks. I've checked that my rotors were tightly secured, checked for play in the hub. Nothing. The only thing that I can see is brake rub. It doesn't sound like any brake rub that I have heard. The bike functions perfectly, and this is more of an annoyance than anything. Has anyone else had anything like this?
    What brand rim do you have? A certain brand/model makes a noise like that.
    _____________________________________________
    Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son.

  4. #4
    *****************
    Reputation: Bikinfoolferlife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    12,378
    Quote Originally Posted by MudInMyEars
    What brand rim do you have? A certain brand/model makes a noise like that.
    Good thought! Mavic rims tacking pins (think that's what they're called) can come loose and make a maddening sound like that...but can be glued in place if that's it.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

  5. #5
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,639

    Rotor rub....

    ... is more of a 'shing' sound, like a samurai sword movie sound effect.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: retro83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    307
    Remove the pads from the brake and see if you still get the noise.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    57
    I have Bontrager rims and hubs. I will remove the pads tommorrow and see what I can hear. It just showed up yesterday. When I go faster, the sound gets faster. Usually when weight is on the rear wheel. It is a tick tack sound. Not the traditional shing shing sound of brake rub

    I am familiar with brake rub, but since this is a new bike and new sound, I thought that i would kick the idea around here. The bike functions perfectly, just a bit annoying is all. With the wind that we have been getting here, I can hardly hear it when I ride.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: retro83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    307
    Quote Originally Posted by The Kid 5
    I will remove the pads tommorrow and see what I can hear. It just showed up yesterday.
    Just a reminder, don't pull the brake lever while the pads aren't in or the pistons will adjust themselves out until they contact the rotor. A safer (but more time consuming) alternative might be to remove the rotor from the hub, but again don't pull the lever until its refitted.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    125
    Sounds like the pads a jiggling around. Check that the rotor is straight, check that the pads are in correctly. If the rotor is bent carefully bend it back (flexing it past the point of elasticity) with a wrench.
    *edit* - also make sure caliper is aligned correctly and bolted on tight.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •