♥ ς╥33

What do you guys think of 485`s??

Well the title says it all. Power, control etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    Carbon is a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by robicycle
    Just lube your ass with asscream and ride for how long you want.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by longcat
    Well the title says it all. Power, control etc.
    Says it all? Not really. I have no idea what 485s are (other than some kind of brake).
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

♥ ς╥33
    Shimano m485, they are low level brakes, I have those and I was wondering if those are considered good, I'm thinking about replacing them with something else and would like some input on what brakes are a step above, I dont want to buy anything thats on the same level, would like better.
    Carbon is a fad.

Your original post sounded like you were singing the praises of the "485", but apparently not.
    If you want to climb upward in the Shimano hierarchy, the higher the model number the further up the ladder you are...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    the br-m485's are shimanos (failed) go at the entry level hydro brake area. sadly they sucked due to issues arising from how they were manufactured, and often puked copious amounts of oil onto the pads, causing loss of braking, and LOTS of noise.
    Fought with them pretty much all summer long. if they work, they work (IMO) very well for their price.
    As for replacing them, Juicy 5's or higher, Shimano Deore (or higher) (take a look at the XT's with servowave tech if your feeling like spending abit of money)
    But, if they work, and work well for you, leave them till they break (brake?:P)

mtbr member
    They work like decent hydraulic brakes for the price. If you don't have issues with them, keep using them.

There was a recall on them due to oil trapped in the hollow bits during assembly, which would leak out and contaminate the pads. Looked like leaking, but it wasn't. Unfortunately contaminated pads made for poor performance. There was a reported 1~2% real leakage rate. Shimano replaced all the oily ones on the recall, and re-introduced it as the 486.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by itsdoable
    There was a recall on them due to oil trapped in the hollow bits during assembly, which would leak out and contaminate the pads. Looked like leaking, but it wasn't. Unfortunately contaminated pads made for poor performance. There was a reported 1~2% real leakage rate. Shimano replaced all the oily ones on the recall, and re-introduced it as the 486.
    definatly saw more then a 1-2% leak rate.

good news is the 486 is not a re-introduced brake, its a redesigned system. significantly better

mtbr member
    I have them. Had to have one caliper replaced on the recall. Since then, they seem to work well. I'm about 220 geared up on a hardtail 29er and no stranger to long descents here in the west. I'm coming off V's though so maybe I don't know anything. HUGE improvement over the V's though. Seem to work as well as Hayes HFX-9's that I've tried and a few lower end (Juicy 3's? 5's?) Avids.

♥ ς╥33
    I got new ones from shimano since they pretty much stopped working within a week, at the end you could pull the handle all the way into the handlebar without and effect at all, and while they worked they made a horrible noise.

I only got to try my new ones in working condition for about 30 minutes then it started snowing, and it has been snowing since then but I remember that I was not able to do a stoppie, kinda like abs-brakes, while abs is good when its winter I still prefer more power. And that was my question: are all discs like this? Or will "better" (more expensive brakes)
    let me do stoppies? Even my old lx and xtr V's let me do that.
    Carbon is a fad.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    longcat - takes generally 1 or 2 decent length rides (total of 1 to 2 hours) to break in the brake pads to where they'll work they way the should.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I switched from 485s on my Prophet to Avid Elixir R's with 185mm rotors front and back. I would have to say the difference is night and day the elixir's can lock up front and back wheels with no problem if you want to, but they also have much better modulation.