Pin it to win it
    Aug 2008

What do the washers on the bolts connecting my Juicy Ultimate caliper to the fork do?

Sorry about the kinda confusing title.

My fork (Talas 32) needs to be sent to Fox for some warranty repairs, and so in the meantime I put on a Rockshox Tora that I grabbed off another bike of mine. When I moved the brake caliper over from one fork to the other (the Fox had different mounts then the Tora, but the Tora had an adapter so they were the same type), I kept the washers in the same order as they were.

However, the front brake didn't seem to work nearly as well as it did before, and when I looked at it, it seemed like the brake pads were only contacting part of the rotor, like the caliper was too far out. I assume that is what the washers are for, and I've since moved the washers around so the pads grab the whole surface of the rotor (like I see happening on the rear brake). They still don't work QUITE as well though... and they make a rather annoying howl, but it is better than before.

Anyways, what I mainly want to know is is this an okay adjustment to make? Or was it setup like it should have been before and I'm messing with things that I shouldn't be messing with? And if it is the correct thing to do, does it matter what washers I remove? I notice some are flat and some are curved... I just moved them around based on size.

Thanks!

I Have Cookies
    the washers are basically a cup and cone set up to align the caliper to the rotor the fox and the rs probably have a different offset just loosen the bolts get somone to squeeze the lever for you and the caliper shoule self align then tighten ther to mfr's specs (inch lbs)
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

Sheffield,South Yorkshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk_Knight
    However, the front brake didn't seem to work nearly as well as it did before, and when I looked at it, it seemed like the brake pads were only contacting part of the rotor, like the caliper was too far out. I assume that is what the washers are for, and I've since moved the washers around so the pads grab the whole surface of the rotor (like I see happening on the rear brake). They still don't work QUITE as well though... and they make a rather annoying howl, but it is better than before.
    This is the only way the washers should be:

This is to stop the caliper loosening.Are you sure the Fork is the same mount as the Fox?Fox are usually IS mounts and some others aren't and have to have a different mounting bracket.

Pin it to win it
    Aug 2008
    Is that the only way the washers should be on the fork too? Because I have more then that many to begin with, and that's with a professional installation by my LBS.

Here's what it looks like now:

The mounts are indeed different, but with the adaptor (that was already on there) they are both the same type of mount.

This is what the rotor looks like in the caliper now. It wasn't fully in before.

If you can see the washer stacks, they are exactly opposite of what they were before. As in, the washers between the caliper and the mount used to be on the other side of the bolt.

I Have Cookies
    yep! the two should "nestle" into each other!
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

Pin it to win it
    Aug 2008
    Wait... so do I have it okay?

Or should I put it back how it was?

I Have Cookies
    the "cup" washers should be on the outside (twards the screw head and bracket) and the "cone" washers should be on the inside (twards the caliper)

____
    Kimo