mtbr member
    Jan 2007

what is IS Disc Mounts?

im look for a new fork and my bike (cano F5) says the brakes are Promax DSK-320...the new fork im lookin at (reba race '07) says it is compatible with IS Disc Mount...what is that?

everytime I look it up in the search it brings up every time someone typed "is disc"

sorry in advance if this is a dumb question....will i need to also purchase an adapter to mount these promax brakes?

Going for a ride......
    I'm sure someone can explain it better than me. IS stands for International Standard disc mount - basically the disc mount holes you find on your frame & fork will be that type.
    Disc brakes come in two types of mounts IS and Post Mount. Looking at IS mount brake calipers the holes will be facing towards you just like the ones on your bike and the caliper can be mounted straight to the mounts on the bike. Post Mount calipers have holes facing downwards and generally you need an adapter that will bolt to the IS frame or fork mount on one end and mount to your Post Mount caliper on the other end.

Hope that makes some sense?
    If your brakes are not the IS mount type they will probably have adapters to suit already. Some brands of forks come with non standard mounts (maybe Manitou or Marzocchi) for which special adapters are purchased. To check wether the mounts on your current fork are IS mounts just compare it to your frame mount - if the distance between the holes are the same and the mount looks the same then it likely is an IS mount.

Post Mount: notice how it's got the adapter attatched

IS mount:
    energetix

No good in rock gardens..
    IS = International Standard. Being the International Standard for disc brake mounts. Rockshox, Marzocchi, RST and other lesser known makes us the IS disc mounts on their forks. Manitou use the different post mount setup, which isn't an issue as there are adapters to run IS brakes on their forks.

If your Cannondale has the Rockshox Dart, your brakes will fit straight onto the Reba.
    Last edited by Sideknob; 02-07-2007 at 04:27 PM.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

No good in rock gardens..
    Here are the two types:

IS is on the left, Manitou style post mount is on the right.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

just like a speeder-bike
    Check out the Disc Brake FAQ, upper right corner of this page, for pictures and more!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

thanks...like the faq's

did not know it was there...thanks

Going for a ride......
    Never noticed the FAQ either!
    energetix

29 some of the time...
    Magura has the IS standard available for download on their site