Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006

What disc brakes dont suck?

I am shopping for a set of disc brakes for my specialized P.2 buildup.
    Heres what I am looking at:
    Hayes El Camino
    Hayes HFX 9
    Avid Juicy 7
    Avid Juicy 5
    ??

Want to spend about $200-$250 for the complet set (front and rear). Heres the deal. MTBR reviews basically tear apart just about every disc brake system as being loud, no adjustment, no modulation, etc. So which of these "horrible" systems should I go with?

I am running Juicy 7's on my full suspension and they have been good over the past year and a half, cept they have been targeted for the turkey gobble problem.

The bike is going to be used for some dirt jumping/urban/etc. 20mm thru axle fork.
    Let me know! thanks yall.

AW_
    locked - time out
    Shimano Hone calipers w/ LX levers are on sale (big time) via Jensonusa.com right now. I'd take those over anything on your list. Or drop a little more for XT levers, Saint calipers (~200$ out the door right now).

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    So you are saying, stick to Shimano eh?

Saint calipers look like they come with the centerlock rotors. I have 6-bolt hubs. So then I would need to buy new rotors. I will look into it, thanks.

mtbr member
    Save up more and get a set of Hope M4 or Mono Mini's. I have a set of Magura Marta SL's for sale.
    Draft College Republicans

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    PM me with price and specs on the maguras.
    Thanks

Slazz
    Aug 2008
    I love my Avid BB7 Mechanical Disc Brakes.....I have them on my Mavic Crossride Rims.
    Very happy with them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I have a set of Hayes mechanicals that I took off.
    Mech's are fine and all, its just that I like hydro's better.

I am a pathetic rider...
    Sep 2007
    have you ever felt a set of nice Mech's? if you are a hydro man, thats cool, but I don't think those hayes are the best judge of character. Try and find a bike with SD7 levers, BB7 calipers, cleansweep or polygon discs, and compressionless housing. I have this setup on all of my bikes and plan to stick it on a freeride hardtail I am building up next season. The power is there, the adjustments are rediculously easy, installation is fool proof, and the lever feel is so linear, I have demoed bikes with J7's, and the lever feel was rather lacking compared to my BB7's, I couldn't feel how much force I was putting on them, which was great when you really need to stop right then, but if you just had to shave a little speed before a corner or brake in the loose stuff, they were hard to get right. Maybe I would have gotten better had I been on the bike for more than 2 hours, but IMO, BB7's are worth a shot, especially since you can buy a whole setup for less than the caliper of a formula.
    Save the Earth, Ride a Cyclist

OSCMTB
    Quote Originally Posted by b4 stealth
    have you ever felt a set of nice Mech's? if you are a hydro man, thats cool, but I don't think those hayes are the best judge of character. Try and find a bike with SD7 levers, BB7 calipers, cleansweep or polygon discs, and compressionless housing. I have this setup on all of my bikes and plan to stick it on a freeride hardtail I am building up next season. The power is there, the adjustments are rediculously easy, installation is fool proof, and the lever feel is so linear, I have demoed bikes with J7's, and the lever feel was rather lacking compared to my BB7's, I couldn't feel how much force I was putting on them, which was great when you really need to stop right then, but if you just had to shave a little speed before a corner or brake in the loose stuff, they were hard to get right. Maybe I would have gotten better had I been on the bike for more than 2 hours, but IMO, BB7's are worth a shot, especially since you can buy a whole setup for less than the caliper of a formula.
    Agreed. Plus, if you bail out and the bars whip around, you won't tear a hose and fvck yourself totally.

mtbr member
    XT set with 160 XT rotors included is $260 on Ebay. Nice brakes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    If you end up with one of the hayes... well dont end up with one that you listed. The new hayes stroker trail is much much much better than the caminos or nines. And you can get a set on ebay in your price range. I run a rear stroker trail on my blk mrkt riot dj bike, as well as a set on my sx trail. Awesome brakes, they get my vote!

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by compression
    I am shopping for a set of disc brakes for my specialized P.2 buildup.
    Why not ask the people that ride DJ/Urban ask the ones that ride the same frame.

http://forums.mtbr.com/urban-dj-park/
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

TLL
    mtbr member
    Here is a list of brakes that don't suck. Kids, pay attention.

Shimano XT and Saint. Solid brakes.

Magura Louise, Marta, and Gustavs. Gustavs are perhaps the most powerful brake, PERIOD.

Formulas (all) tho sometimes finicky, but maaan, talk about stopping power. Once set they are puurfect.

Hopes.

There are others, (Codes? Strokers?) but since I have no experience with them I'll leave it to others.

How many choices do you need anyway?
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by TLL
    Here is a list of brakes that don't suck. Kids, pay attention.

I got lost after this.
    Formotion Products

ride hard take risks
    These 2 OP's should talk then they would both be happy.

Most Powerful Brakes
    Formotion Products

wuss
    I had Avid BB7's which where great after v-brakes (loud sometimes). I swapped them for Magura Louise BAT's in 2007 which where superb (silent). I changed to a centerlock wheelset and got LX 585's as a temp solution, and to be honest these seem very nice (even if not considering the price). Not as good modulation as the Maguras, but suprisingly close.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Hope minis.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    It seems pretty much everyone is happy with their XTs.
    2008 Stumpjumper FSR S-Works
    2005 Stumpjumper FSR Expert Disk

ballbuster

Yeah, gotta say...

Quote Originally Posted by tech_dog
    It seems pretty much everyone is happy with their XTs.
    I got a cheapo LX brake when they were on sale at Performance for $30, and mated it up to an XT lever I had in my parts bin. It was a minor PITA to find the right hose fittings. THis was for my wife's bike that would probably see 10 miles a year tops. The lever felt solid with the caliper, they broke in nice and fast, and apart from being a bit heavy, they worked really well.

Oh man! I was impressed... So impressed I got some LX flippy shifters for myself (Includes hose, fittings and bleed kit! Jenson, $50!) and found some new never mounted XTR calipers on Craigslist for $100. Again, PITA to find the hose fittings to fit the XTR caliper, but a friendly LBS let me browse the hydro parts bin for the correct banjo fitting.

Dang! These brakes feel just about as good as my Hope Mono Minis, and they were $150 less. The LX levers are pretty portly, and they feel a bit loose and rattley, but give decent feedback from the caliper. If I decide I don't like Dual Control, I'll just get some regular XT or XTR levers.

Shimano really seems to have their engineering act together when it comes to brakes.

You can easily do the LX flippy shifter kit and LX calipers for around $130 or so, then add in another $50 if you use 6 bolt rotors.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Jenson has LX hydros on sale right now. You can get a complete set, front and rear with levers for $104 before shipping.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Thanks for all the input. I decided to go with the full M775 shimano XT setup. Heres why:
    If I end up liking these brakes as much as everyone says I will. I will most likely end up putting them on my Enduro, then swapping the Avid J-7's onto my dirt jumper. The enduro is my nicer bike and the one that I want all the right parts on. The dirt jumper is just a screw-around bike for when I only have an hour or 2 to ride before dinner and I go and practice manuals and screw around on my nighbors small-ish dirt jumps. the enduro goes on the epic middle-of-no-where 20 miles+ off road rides.
    Although i have not had any problems with my Juicy's like everyone else, maybe I will just leave them on the Enduro....we'll see.
    Thanks for all the input!

Yayer!
    buy some Stroker trails and be done, best way to go in hyraulics for the money by far. I have some avid juicy 7's and like them a lot, but I think the modulation on Hayes systems is where its at...not to mention they have been doing it on motorcycles since the dawn of time. Ant
    Broken ankles = bullshit!

Slazz
    Aug 2008
    which motorcycles have Hayes brakes?

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooth McGavin
    which motorcycles have Hayes brakes?
    HD
    Formotion Products

Slazz
    Aug 2008
    oh....I work for Honda and Yamaha....I didnt know that HD used Hayes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast