mtbr member
    Jan 2004

What are the differences between 2004 Marta and Louise???

I weigh 185lbs and am looking for a good pair of hyraulic brakes from Magura. I hear they perform and look good.

However, I am unsure if there are significant differences between the Marta vs Louise. While performance is important, weight is not so the Marta SL is a non factor for me. Additionally, I don't think my Fox Float 100 would be able to accomodate a 180 rotor so the Louise FR is not a choice as well. That leaves the regular Martas and Louise. Is one preferred over the other performance wise? Is one more reliable? Has onyone changed from one to the other and not gone back?

Bodhisattva
    First of all, Fox forx do accept 180mm rotors and its approved by Fox. I've been using Louise FR on 2 different Fox forx for almost 3 years.

Louise & Marta both work with 160mm rotors. Marta has been streamlined to minimize weight. It has a smaller reservoir, optional carbon levers and, if I'm not mistaken, the pad surface area is a bit smaller. Power on both will initially feel similar but Louise will be more resistant to fade. Marta is also a bit more finnicky in terms of bleeding because of the smaller reservoir.

IMO, Marta should be left to the weight weenies, and the weight difference between Marta & Louise isn't much for the average rider. We're only talking an eighth of a pound or so.

My general advice:
    Marta for racers & those who are particularly weight conscious.
    Louise for general riding provided that you aren't a Clydesdale, do long descents or desire instand nose-wheelie power.
    Louise FR for clydes, those doing long downhills or wanting extra power. I weigh just under 160# and have been using FR for several years. I love the power & modulation and don't mind the extra weight at all.
    Life....the original terminal illness

Do It Yourself
    Completely agree with Squeak. I had the Martas but opted for Louise XC when I moved to post mount. The Martas work well for their intended purpose, XC where strong braking power isn't needed. However for general riding, the Louise are a bit more durable with less fade and aren't much heavier. And for larger riders, extended downhills, or just more front/rear differential, Lousie FR are just the ticket. Go for it!
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    First of all, Fox forx do accept 180mm rotors and its approved by Fox. I've been using Louise FR on 2 different Fox forx for almost 3 years.
    Thank you. I don't know why I was under the impression that 180mm would void my 2004 Float. I must have read somewhere that people were having problems with the rotor rubbin the fork and hub issues...

Anyways I might take yours and Homebrew's advice on the Louise. Would 180mm F and R be overkill or is 160mm all around enough for a 185lb guy?

Bodhisattva
    I run 180 front/160 rear. No need for a bigger rotor. The 160 locks up easily enough.
    Life....the original terminal illness