mtbr member

What Brakes would be an upgrade from 2007 XTR M975?

I would just like to know what is concidered better/more powerfull than the XTR I have now.

I don't really care much about modulation as I am 230lbs and want a brake that can stop me NOW.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    What brake pads are on the xtrs? Does it have the 140mm rear rotor?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Acme54321
    What brake pads are on the xtrs? Does it have the 140mm rear rotor?
    I have 180mm in the front, 160mm rear and they both have Ti backing with Metal pad. The optional pads for these calipers.

I also have the M975 XTR Brake levers.
    Last edited by gdl357; 06-07-2007 at 05:20 PM.

El Pollo Diablo
    not caring about modulation = retarded.
    the brakes you're 'wanting' would throw you over the bars every time.
    Arguably any of the beefy high end Maggies or Avids would be an upgrade...
    and have some modulation to boot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowMongoose
    not caring about modulation = retarded.
    the brakes you're 'wanting' would throw you over the bars every time.
    Arguably any of the beefy high end Maggies or Avids would be an upgrade...
    and have some modulation to boot.
    LOL Avids an upgrade = thats retarded.

I been there done that. They are total crap compared to the XTR, well not Total crap, but inferior in power. I had J7 and they were bad. My neighbour has them too and I don't like. I don't need modulation. I need stopping power. The XTR are great, and clamp much harder than the J7, I just want to kno whats better out there. I'm talking about High end brakes like Formula, Hope, that stuff, not run of the mill el cheapo Avids.

Anyways I find that this forum is full of racers and not people that ride and do stupid things like Drop in, bouncing off picknic tables and rails. The questions are answered through a racer's way of thinking, and I'm not a racer. Component weight is not important to me like all the racers here.

I laugh when I see 2 guys argueing over 30gr. haha. An extra gulp more of water in your body and you just strained your quads.

The XTR throw me over the bars right now. But I need to slam on the levers hard. I like locking my tires at 50 km/h and leaving long tire marks. What modulation do you need in a straight line/level on gravel road/fire road? If I ask for calmping power and specify that I don't care about modulation, why call me retarded? If I was a racer, then I would want your "Modulation to boot"

thx
    Last edited by gdl357; 06-07-2007 at 06:26 PM.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Personally I'd take my juicy 7s over XTR any day.

GDL try running the resin pads, or one resin and one metallic pad. The resinsare more powerful but do not last as long especially in muddy conditions.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Acme54321
    Personally I'd take my juicy 7s over XTR any day.

GDL try running the resin pads, or one resin and one metallic pad. The resinsare more powerful but do not last as long especially in muddy conditions.
    Thx

Would you suggest I change my rotor at the same time I replace with the resin pads?

The rotors/pads have about 50 miles on them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Are you sure that your brakes are bled properly/working the way they should? I have the 2007 XTRs (160mm F/R) and I weigh 210 all geared up (not that much lighter than 230), and they work great. In the dirt I can lock them up pretty easily, without having to "slam them on". They are super easy to modulate, but also make stops quite easy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlownCivic
    Are you sure that your brakes are bled properly/working the way they should? I have the 2007 XTRs (160mm F/R) and I weigh 210 all geared up (not that much lighter than 230), and they work great. In the dirt I can lock them up pretty easily, without having to "slam them on". They are super easy to modulate, but also make stops quite easy.
    They are working great. I was looking for that 1 finger locking if it even exists.

I just wanted some feedback on the other brands thats all. I am super happy with the XTR. The only thing I regret is not going centerlock hubs/rotors. I am trying to gain some experience with brake systems and staying with the same won't get me no where. To date I have tried BB7, J7, Hayes Mech (on my GF's bike, RM Soul), XTR and the XTR seem to be the best. The Hayes mech. are working like a charm. 100x better than the Vbrake Specialized the salesman was pushing on me.

I would like to try the Magura SL or Hope, but the Megura don't seem to be getting good reviews from MTBR users and neither are the hope. The Formula Puro are SOSO from what the reviews state.

I like brakes and levers. What can I say...

I wonder how much better the Avide CODE are compared to the J7

BTW I weight 230 naked.

Thx
    Last edited by gdl357; 06-07-2007 at 08:48 PM.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    FWIW I can lock my J7s w/ one finer. I am like 225lbs.

You don't need a new rotor, unless you want a bigger one.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

For me, Formula oro

First of all, I have never ridden with any Shimano brake and therefore not with the new XTR's either. So take my advice for what it's worth...
    I too like very strong brakes however and have owned many different braking systems in my search for this, mainly every brake Hope has probably ever manufactured up to the mono M4 (so not the latest Moto), an older Magura Louise, and (where it all started) Formula's first disc brake system, the one without an expansion reservoir.
    Up untill my latest set of brakes, I was never satisfied with them, but this all changed when I finally bought a set of Formula oro's (puro in my case but that doesn't matter) in size 200/180. With these brakes, my hunger for braking power is finally satisfied. So much so, that I am not sure whether stronger brakes would be better or worse. I still use the original organic pads, but there are sintered pads available from Formula which supposedly are even more powerfull (they come standard with the oro bianco's).
    I am not sure what you mean by saying that the formula oro's are SOSO from what the reviews state? The reviews I have seen on mtbr and other websites and have heared speaking with others, are all excellent.
    In my opinion, the oro brakes are powerfull, well designed, easy to bleed (with the syringes) and light (even if you don't care). I would therefore recommend you to certainly test this brake before making a decision.
    By the way, as I have stopped searching for my ultimate brake I have not tested these and do not plan to do so, but from what I have read and heared the new Avid Code's and Hope Moto's are supposed to be very strong brakes, who knows maybe even stronger than the oro's. But they do also weigh more So maybe you should also test these...
    Good luck finding your ultimate brake!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SurfHenk
    First of all, I have never ridden with any Shimano brake and therefore not with the new XTR's either. So take my advice for what it's worth...
    I too like very strong brakes however and have owned many different braking systems in my search for this, mainly every brake Hope has probably ever manufactured up to the mono M4 (so not the latest Moto), an older Magura Louise, and (where it all started) Formula's first disc brake system, the one without an expansion reservoir.
    Up untill my latest set of brakes, I was never satisfied with them, but this all changed when I finally bought a set of Formula oro's (puro in my case but that doesn't matter) in size 200/180. With these brakes, my hunger for braking power is finally satisfied. So much so, that I am not sure whether stronger brakes would be better or worse. I still use the original organic pads, but there are sintered pads available from Formula which supposedly are even more powerfull (they come standard with the oro bianco's).
    I am not sure what you mean by saying that the formula oro's are SOSO from what the reviews state? The reviews I have seen on mtbr and other websites and have heared speaking with others, are all excellent.
    In my opinion, the oro brakes are powerfull, well designed, easy to bleed (with the syringes) and light (even if you don't care). I would therefore recommend you to certainly test this brake before making a decision.
    By the way, as I have stopped searching for my ultimate brake I have not tested these and do not plan to do so, but from what I have read and heared the new Avid Code's and Hope Moto's are supposed to be very strong brakes, who knows maybe even stronger than the oro's. But they do also weigh more So maybe you should also test these...
    Good luck finding your ultimate brake!
    The reviews that I read all complained about how dificult it was to center the caliper and how cheap the screwkit supplied with the system was.

Other than that the Oro Puro got great reviews. At $375.00 I would expect better hardware.
    I am really fixed on the Avid Codes. double piston...yummm.

Thx.

LA CHÈVRE
    The metal pads are more powerful than the resins... at least in the Shimano range. I'm not a big fan of Avid brakes myself (too many defects, bugs, vibrations) but I love Shimanos, I'm only 165lbs though.

If you want mega power, look at the Magura Gustav or Hope Mono6, these things are beasts and quality products.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gdl357
    I would just like to know what is concidered better/more powerfull than the XTR I have now.

I don't really care much about modulation as I am 230lbs and want a brake that can stop me NOW.
    If you seriously want max stopping power, why stick with double pistons? Get Hope Mono 6's or some other DH brake.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by womble
    If you seriously want max stopping power, why stick with double pistons? Get Hope Mono 6's or some other DH brake.
    Well the problem with DH setup is that they only come in 7" and 8" rotors. I can only clear a 6" in the rear and a 8" on my reba. What will I do for the rear, run my XTR?

Great idea though. Thx for showing me the Hope 6 piston caliper. Its a beut.

mtbr member
    laser guided democracy

-> SickLines.com <-
    You could get the new XT's. M775 lever's 20% more power supposedly when teamed with teh mono block XT caliper. Should be out real soon and it feels great.

http://bike.shimano.com/publish/cont...ano_deore.html

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Run 8 inch discs if you want more power and less modulation.

Personally I wouldnt bother with an upgrade cos there really isnt anything that is "significantly" better out there than XTRs, all the top brakes are pretty similar in performance and quality/finish.