mtbr member
    Apr 2006

What brakes on a new custom Ti frame.

I am having a hard tail Ti frame built. The build-up will be all new pretty high-end light components. Don't know if I will race the bike or not, but I do want a bike capable.

Question that I have is: Am I crazy to put v-brakes on this new bike? I have Formula's on my racer-x and like them, but I just think v-brakes are simpler, lighter and will work fine for me in my area (mostly trails in Michigan).

So what do you think v-brakes or discs?

Thanks,
    GEM

banned
    at least discs in front...i think it is silly not to, especially starting from scratch where you dont already have the wheels forcing you to do v-brakes.

out back, on that bike, v-brakes are all good........

mtbr member

Agreed...

Quote Originally Posted by your_mom_does
    at least discs in front...i think it is silly not to, especially starting from scratch where you dont already have the wheels forcing you to do v-brakes.

out back, on that bike, v-brakes are all good........
    I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with V-brakes for most riding, I think it's going to get harder and harder to find suspension forks with brake posts.

I-S
    Magurified
    It depends on the riding you do. If I lived in SoCal or AZ then I might be persuaded to agree with Nater (if he stated "rim brakes" rather than "V-brakes" anyway).

However, if you live in the pacific northwest, or here in sunny old england then sloppy, gritty mud getting between the pads and rims, huge clods of mud somewhere where your brakes used to be, etc make discs the very obvious choice. There's nothing like hearing your rims being ground down with fresh grit.

I've no idea what the weather is like in MI, but if you're happy with Vs for the weather, terrain, riding, etc that you do then go with them. As for being crazy, aren't we all?

banned
    All conditions: Disc brakes.

Vee-brakes are obsolete not only for the dry weather riding. We only had them so long after the advent of mtb because viable alternatives were not available until more recent years.

Knollician
    Magura Marta's are great, and not all that much heavier than v-brakes.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

I <3 29ers
    Quote Originally Posted by bluegem
    I am having a hard tail Ti frame built. The build-up will be all new pretty high-end light components. Don't know if I will race the bike or not, but I do want a bike capable.

Question that I have is: Am I crazy to put v-brakes on this new bike? I have Formula's on my racer-x and like them, but I just think v-brakes are simpler, lighter and will work fine for me in my area (mostly trails in Michigan).

So what do you think v-brakes or discs?

Thanks,
    GEM
    I believe that what I think about this doesn't matter compared to what you know about you, your riding skill and trails.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.