♥ ς╥33

What brakes have much things to adjust, like bite etc?

trying to figure out which brakes do what, I would like something that you can adjust in a lot of different ways, I want reach adjustment and you know where the brakes start biting, I want to be able to adjust this, I think this is very important.

Been looking at Magura, Hope and Formula "the one".

Magura has, Louise, Marta, Julie and Gustav M, I understand the Gustavs are for DH and theyre just beefy, but the other ones which one has most power and has reach and bite adjustment? Same **** different package??

If you compare Hope to the maguras, whats the difference, which are considered better (quality/power), I noticed Hope has come out with new gear, a new lever it seems and the calipers hade been upbeefed a bit, is there "bite-adjustment" on these new levers?

Formula the one, what is it? Is it good? Adjustablity? Power?

Tektro/Avid/Shimano/Hayes I dont like so those are automatically disqualified from all further discussion. (Tektro and Avid used to make pure crap back in the days and i doubt things have changed, Shimano I just dont like and Hayes <--Who??)

Meh.
    Avid used to make crap? They made the BBDB, the best mechanical disc on the market to date. Magura's early disc brakes were far from perfect.

mtbr member
    At a similar level of brake there is not a lot of difference among the major players. All of them make some very good product at both the mid and high end. It will really come down to a personal preference IMHO.

ride hard take risks
    Get the Magura they sound like the perfect system for you.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

♥ ς╥33
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    Get the Magura they sound like the perfect system for you.
    Which ones?

mtbr member
    If bite adjust is your primary concern then I would suggest the magura louise with BAT.

I have a set of those, and they are great - but honestly once I have bled them properly I never use the BAT adjustment and would probably not purchase that option if I was buying another set.....

mbtr member
    it must be easy to dismiss things out of hand when you don't have a clue.

maybe list your weight, the type of bike, the type of trails, your budget, and any other preferences besides 'i like shiny knobs' and you might get a more informed response.

♥ ς╥33
    I dont know I think it was pretty straight forward questions, like does the maguras (except the Gustav M) have more or less power than what Hope has to offer. And build quality etc, new Hopes old Hopes vs maguras vs the one, I understand i nobody has tried or owned all of these or even more than 2 of them but all input is good input to me, like doubleO6s answer.

Do you know if you can adjust bite on any Marta model 006?

Maybe you're just eurocentric? Gustavs might be best since that sounds the most Svenska!
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by longcat
    Formula the one, what is it? Is it good? Adjustablity? Power?

Tektro/Avid/Shimano/Hayes I dont like so those are automatically disqualified from all further discussion. (Tektro and Avid used to make pure crap back in the days and i doubt things have changed, Shimano I just dont like and Hayes <--Who??)
    this pretty clearly illustrates you have no idea what you're talking about, yet nonetheless feel free to declare a company's entire product line 'pure crap.' It makes it feel like a waste of time to explain anything to you, you might have better luck if you were more open minded and just explained your needs.

Avid/Shimano/Hayes/Hope/Formula all make a quality top shelf xc/trail/DH brake with enough adjustments to suit most users. They each have the quirks of that brands brakes. Pick one.

♥ ς╥33
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    Maybe you're just eurocentric? Gustavs might be best since that sounds the most Svenska!
    but i have a feeling theyre a bit overkill for my purpose.

I dont need "on the fly" adjustment of anything I would just like to set up the brakes just as I want them and never touch them again pretty much.

My weight is 70kg and the bike is a Peugeot roadie that I will use a commuter (when its modified), its kinda steep here so I would prefer power one step up from entrylevel brakes (at least), and as troublefree use and high quality build as I can get.

And maybe Avid is good now I dont know I just dont like them and I'm not in the market for Avids. Its not like I can go out and try all of these brakes in a store thats why I need to be sure I choose the right brakes before, I have had Maguras before (rimbrakes), and I liked those, but I couldnt adjust them like xtr vs, the xtrs were like surgical tools and I would like that feeling but with more power in a disc brake.

I am a pathetic rider...
    Sep 2007
    whoa commuters? Pick the cheapest one and run with it, any of those brakes are up to mild DH use, commuting will be like driving the porsche to the country club and back on sunday.
    Save the Earth, Ride a Cyclist

Quote Originally Posted by longcat
    but i have a feeling theyre a bit overkill for my purpose.

I dont need "on the fly" adjustment of anything I would just like to set up the brakes just as I want them and never touch them again pretty much.

My weight is 70kg and the bike is a Peugeot roadie that I will use a commuter (when its modified), its kinda steep here so I would prefer power one step up from entrylevel brakes (at least), and as troublefree use and high quality build as I can get.

And maybe Avid is good now I dont know I just dont like them and I'm not in the market for Avids. Its not like I can go out and try all of these brakes in a store thats why I need to be sure I choose the right brakes before, I have had Maguras before (rimbrakes), and I liked those, but I couldnt adjust them like xtr vs, the xtrs were like surgical tools and I would like that feeling but with more power in a disc brake.
    For your stated purpose any hydraulic brake is overkill...there is no hydraulic brake that is going to qualify for the never touch them again bit anyways. Now about that Peugeot road bike...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique