mtbr member

What was that brake fluid called??

Motal 16 or something - the stuff in a red container that has the highest boiling point of any fluid or something???

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    called overrated motul rbf600?

i dont remember ever seeing a thread about boiled fluid. what do you think is more likely, you'll be the some-odd random person to actually boil fluid, or you'll get stuck needing a bleed/repair and not having your specialized order-only fluid around?

use valvoline synthetic. very high boiling point, available everywhere, cheap. i use it in my car to run track laps in the middle of summer. the pads fade before the fluid boils.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    The Motul stuff is good. It mustn't be used anywhere near magnesium components. Same goes for fluids like AP Racing 600.

mtbr member
    Why can't it be used anywhere near magnesium? My brakes are magnesium.......

I have boiled fluid actually. I was using rubbish rotors and rubbish pads from the UK and the fluid boiled.

Meh.
    Motul 5.1 and RBF600 is a polyalkelene glycon ester based brake fluid. If concentrations of magnesium in solution exceed 5% then there's a possibility of reaction that will generate small amounts of hydrogen. This will lead to a very spongy pedal and if let go may eventually generate enough pressures to lock the brakes.

And it says not to on the bottle.

mtbr member
    Oh well, i was going to use it in my Avids but i guess not!