mtbr member
    Feb 2004

What brake is best?

Looking to upgrade the brakes on my 04 Kona Dawg, and looking for some advice. I want to stick to Hydro disc brakes and need help on choicing a system that WORKS WELL!!! The current Hayes HFX-9 are nothing but headaches. The El Camino's have kinda caught my attention but after the experience I've had with my Hayes I think I might want to stay clear of them. Curious to see what you guys would suggest I go with to compliment my Dawg. Also since I'm upgrading should I fork out the extra cash and hook up some 8" rotors?? Thanks for the help in advance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by EnvoyMan
    Looking to upgrade the brakes on my 04 Kona Dawg, and looking for some advice. I want to stick to Hydro disc brakes and need help on choicing a system that WORKS WELL!!! The current Hayes HFX-9 are nothing but headaches. The El Camino's have kinda caught my attention but after the experience I've had with my Hayes I think I might want to stay clear of them. Curious to see what you guys would suggest I go with to compliment my Dawg. Also since I'm upgrading should I fork out the extra cash and hook up some 8" rotors?? Thanks for the help in advance.
    What type of riding? How big are you? How much do you want to spend? Magura, Hope, Shimano all make great brakes, I think it is more how you like the feel of each that matters, and how much you want to spend. I have the 2003 Gustav M's with 190/160mm rotor combo (which is going to change to 210mm/190mm) and the 2004 Louise FR's with 210mm/190mm rotors, both are great brakes. For serious speed freaks the stopping power of the Gustav's can't be beat. But I am also a big rider so that makes a difference as well. If you are just riding XC then no 8" rotors may be too grabby for you. Give us a little more information and we can help you better.
    Pat T.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat T.
    What type of riding? How big are you? How much do you want to spend? Magura, Hope, Shimano all make great brakes, I think it is more how you like the feel of each that matters, and how much you want to spend. I have the 2003 Gustav M's with 190/160mm rotor combo (which is going to change to 210mm/190mm) and the 2004 Louise FR's with 210mm/190mm rotors, both are great brakes. For serious speed freaks the stopping power of the Gustav's can't be beat. But I am also a big rider so that makes a difference as well. If you are just riding XC then no 8" rotors may be too grabby for you. Give us a little more information and we can help you better.
    Alright here we go, I'm also a fairly large rider 6'2" 190lbs. I do mostly trail riding with some light freeriding, as for how much I want to spend I don't have to much of a budget. I would like to get a good deal, for the money I spending. Hope this helps a bit.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by EnvoyMan
    Alright here we go, I'm also a fairly large rider 6'2" 190lbs. I do mostly trail riding with some light freeriding, as for how much I want to spend I don't have to much of a budget. I would like to get a good deal, for the money I spending. Hope this helps a bit.
    I am about 6'2", 180lbs, and ride very similar to yourself. I have ridden Shimano discs (XTR), Hayes hydraulic, and 2 different Maguras. There is no way there is one best brake since so much is subjective. I have heard complaints from at least one person on EVERY SINGLE brake out there.....as such, all you are going to get is a general feel of what people "think" is the best.

Having said that, I am a now a huge Magura fan. I was tempted by the Avid Juicys but have seen first hand the horror behind owning them for one of my friends so unlucky or not, they were off my list. I run Magura Marta SLs on my XC bike and find them perfect so far in every way. For the bike you describe, I would highly recommend Magura Louise (or Magura Louise Freeride depending on desired rotor sizes).

If you want the absolute best deal around, you should definitely buy a set of Magura Louise Freeride 210mm/190mm for only $238. Others have bought from this guy and I am super stoked on them and especially love the look. He has some on ebay right now for $249 so he has only raised the price $10. Killer brakes at a killer deal....Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images

inner peace to make peace

Hope Mono M4 8" rotor

Hope Mono M4 8" rotor.
    strong, modulates, quiet
    The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards & its fighting by fools.