mtbr member
    Jun 2012

What is best brake pad to use with Ashima Airotor?

I am going to give Airotor a try. Anyone have any experience with these?

I read review that you need to use 'sintered' pads?

I have Shimano SLX on my 2012 superfly AL elite - stock pads seem in good shape so far - will start with what is on it.

Any feedback from what pads did or didn't work? (excessive noise, wear, etc)

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Read the "BEWARE!" on this page.

mtbr member
    I've got Airotor's on my geared FS and my SS. I'm using stock Avid Elixir pads on the FS bike, and stock BB7 pads on the SS. I don't have any wear, noise, or stopping power complaints about either bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Ashima recommends sintered pads. I bought some Hope X2 evo and decided to try the Airotors. So far so good, but front rotor has excessive "Chirping" sound compared to my rear. I suspect I might have a contaminated pad with no fault to the rotors.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtle Torque View Post
    Ashima recommends sintered pads. I bought some Hope X2 evo and decided to try the Airotors. So far so good, but front rotor has excessive "Chirping" sound compared to my rear. I suspect I might have a contaminated pad with no fault to the rotors.
    You may need to shim your front caliper to make sure your pad is in the center of the braking surface. This may help. It seems like most calipers on the rear of my Flux line up perfectly. This combined with a stiffer axle on the rear hub seems to help prevent pulsing on lighter rotors like this. Front hubs usually seem to need more attention to get them right.

I ran the unrecommended Alligator Organic Pads briefly on my old BB7's and I felt like they were a little too soft for this rotor (the Alligator organic pad material is a tan color and they don't appear to have much if any metallic material mixed in). The organic pads on my Evo X2's work fine. The set of 160mm Ashima/Alligator Windcutter rotors that I have were very true out of the package and they haven't eaten up my Hope organic pads. The rotors do fade quite a bit on long and steep downhills, but they recover quickly and they are one of the better quality light rotors on the market, regardless of price.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks TTTURNER. I tried your suggestion and looks like the excessive chirping has reduced dramatically.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtle Torque View Post
    Thanks TTTURNER. I tried your suggestion and looks like the excessive chirping has reduced dramatically.
    Cool. Most guys don't notice this problem. You would think that all manufacturers would be on the same page and that this fix wouldn't be necessary. My old Hope floating rotors required me to put several shims under the caliper to get the pads high enough.
    Last edited by TTTURNER; 02-09-2013 at 05:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Very True. Thought I was savvy with wrenching, but this one got me stumped. Thought I had a contaminated rotors all the while it was couple of shims.