Get out of town!

What is the best/adjustable disc brake?

I have Deore 555 disc brakes on my bike with XT rotors. I have added shims in an effort to keep them from rubbing and squeeling like crazy (I know discs rub sometimes but believe me this is different). There is no other adjustablilty options that I can think of. They worked fine with the stock wheelsset but ever since I swapped I cannot get the brakes dialed in. I am about to just sell the d^*$% things unless someone has some suggestions. Anyone have brakes that they actually like and are easy to adjust....or at least adjustable?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'd have to say the fastest/easiest adjustable disc brakes I've worked with are the avid mechanicals. Not to say that other brakes are not as adjustable or better performing, but for ease of just slapping them on a bike and getting them dialed in, they have been the easiest.

Get out of town!
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddM
    I'd have to say the fastest/easiest adjustable disc brakes I've worked with are the avid mechanicals. Not to say that other brakes are not as adjustable or better performing, but for ease of just slapping them on a bike and getting them dialed in, they have been the easiest.
    I agree. I had some on my old NRS2 and I have a pair in my garage just collecting dust. I have thought about just putting those on but I really like the feel of the 555's. I just don't think I can take the noise and rubbing anymore. Especially during climbs - it is like some annoying bastard is right behind you the whole time taunting you

mtbr member
    Avid mechanicals win my vote. My giant came with hayes gx2 calipers and right off the bat they rubbed like crazy and you dont get much adjustibility outside of the innerpad adjuster (using a 5mm wrench) or totally repositioning the caliper. I put avids on my ride within a month of getting it, the hand adjustment on them cant be beat.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    By far the most adjustable and tuneable discs are the Avid BB7 paired with Speed Dial levers.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Live 2 Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    By far the most adjustable and tuneable discs are the Avid BB7 paired with Speed Dial levers.
    That's debatable and a matter of opinion.
    My Bike: '03 Specialized HardRock FrankenBike
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Chalk another vote for Avid bb7's I would take those wth good levers over most hydro's

Almost every friend I know with hydros has an issue of some sort, whether it be adjustments or service problems. I'll keep my Avid BB7s, thanks, simple adjustment and super reliable.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

willtsmith_nwi

It IS possible ...

Quote Originally Posted by BeenTravelinLite
    Avid mechanicals win my vote. My giant came with hayes gx2 calipers and right off the bat they rubbed like crazy and you dont get much adjustibility outside of the innerpad adjuster (using a 5mm wrench) or totally repositioning the caliper. I put avids on my ride within a month of getting it, the hand adjustment on them cant be beat.
    It is possible to tune Hayes MX-2s properly. It just takes some fiddling and patience. Intitially, mine rubbed like crazy (LBS had no clue how to adjust these properly). But eventually, I figured out the formula.

That having been said, I wish I had Avids on my bike ;-) Moving an inboard pad adjuster is a hell of a lot easier than resetting the caliper. When the spare cash arises, I'm putting on Avid BB7s or Juicy 7s.

Bike Whore
    Mar 2004
    One more vote for Avids mechs.

The previous BBDB or currently renamed as BB7 disc with adjustable levers (Avid Speed Dials or Shimano LX levers). You adjust leverage, engagement point, spring tension, etc...

Even Jeff Jones specs his expensive custom bikes with Avids.

super absorbent
    Just today I took off the Martas from my front forks and put on the Avid BB7s. I had a slight rub on my initial test ride so I stopped, reached down, clicked the adjustment knob one notch counterclockwise and was off and running with no friction. How much simpler can it get? That was just not a possibility with my Martas. I hope that this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship. Time will tell.
    The more complicated it is, the more that can go wrong.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Disk brakes are different!

Quote Originally Posted by jsnk1975
    I have Deore 555 disc brakes on my bike with XT rotors. I have added shims in an effort to keep them from rubbing and squeeling like crazy (I know discs rub sometimes but believe me this is different). There is no other adjustablilty options that I can think of. They worked fine with the stock wheelsset but ever since I swapped I cannot get the brakes dialed in. I am about to just sell the d^*$% things unless someone has some suggestions. Anyone have brakes that they actually like and are easy to adjust....or at least adjustable?
    For starters, disk brakes are different. I doubt you can find many disk riders who would choose to go back to their previous brakes. Yes, they do squeal, grunt, schinng, etc. etc., but they'll also give you more control over your bike then you've EVER had. Some will recommend Hope or Shimano or Hayes or Brimbo, but truth be known, they all have the same characteristics. True your wheels, set the calipers as best you can, accept some extraneous sounds, and enjoy the ride. Good luck. - Dave