mtbr member
    May 2013

New question here. what Avid IS adapter to I need for my Trek Fuel?

I've got a 2002 Trek Fuel 100 carbon frame that I am refreshing/upgrading. I bought a pair of Avid BB7 brakes to install. But I don't know what IS adapter to get/use. The included adapters are too long (bolt holes spacing)

The rear dropout of the Trek has a set of "IS" holes to mount a disc brake that are about 44mm apart. I.e., closer together than the 51mm standard that the included adapters are.

Does Avid make a "44mm" IS adapter? And, if so, what stand-off height would I need to get the caliper positioned properly for the 160mm rotors? Is there a way to calculate this?

Thanks for any help for a Disc Brake newbie

mtbr member
    You have the BB7 brakes so you have the fitting instructions which have all (three) available rear adapters listed. As far as I know and remember all the bikes I've had going back to the early 2000s had a 51mm. IS mount. I own a great German made "Steppenwolf" bike on which I'd like to fit a rear disc brake. (Got a BB7 on the front.) It also has two threaded holes on the seat stays near the dropout which are about 4cm. apart. I always assumed they were for mounting a fender or carrier as there are the same holes on both sides. I doubt that you can mount a caliper there but if you find anything let me know.

There is the Brake Therapy option but at the price I'll stick with the V-brake on the back.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    You will need this bolt on mount and then you'll need a IS to PM adapter of the appropriate size to suit the rotor that you'll be using. Trek started using this bolt on mount a couple of years ago on their 3 Series bikes, your local Trek dealer should be able to order you one of these mounts.

You can buy this bolt on mount on ebay but they are a bit more expensive.
    www.ebay.com./itm/Rear-Disc-Brake-Adapter-for-Gary-Fisher-Trek-Klein-Frames-Universal-Mount-Disk-/350739744602?
    With the following bolt on mount you wouldn't need a IS to PM adapter when using a 160m rotor.
    www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Disc-Brake-Adapter-for-Gary-Fisher-Trek-Klein-Frames-160mm-Post-Mount-Disk-/350739673837?

You can see photos of the Trek bolt on mount attached to a 2002 Fuel frame on the following link.
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/trek-fuel-80-2002-175-frame-bits-1

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cobba View Post
    With the following bolt on mount you wouldn't need a IS to PM adapter when using a 160m rotor.
    www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Disc-Brake-Adapter-for-Gary-Fisher-Trek-Klein-Frames-160mm-Post-Mount-Disk-/350739673837?
    I ended up buying the second one you suggested: the 160mm integrated adapter, from "Sellution Components" on eBay. Hope to receive it soon (the seller only lives 10 miles from me, but 3 days in-transit so far? Love USPS!)

Hopeful that this will result in a clean mount that doesn't flex too much. I'll post my results.
    Thanks Cobba, for taking the time to post such a thorough response!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

frame adapter mounts/

44mm adapter mounts-trek warehouse has them $15./ order thru any trek dealer.