Beer is my spirit animal

Weird Problem With Tektro V-Brake Install

Pulled a brand new Redline Conquest Pro SS frame out of its box today at work (my Christmas present, which just got here today!!) and went to put the rear brake on it (I'm planning on running a Tektro 930AL with a Travel Agent) and the right arm went onto the boss with no problem, but the left arm (the one with the noodle carrier) was hard to even push onto the boss.

It's stiff and unresponsive as if it was bolted too tightly, but there isn't even a bolt in it yet! I thought that if I just kinda worked it on it would soften up (and used plenty of grease) but to no avail, so I've pulled it off but I'm wondering if anyone's had this same problem. My best guess is that there's too much paint on the boss. Any ideas on removal of excess material to help make the brake slide on easier?
    I don't believe anything, but I have many suspicions.
    ― Robert Anton Wilson

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    there should be no paint on a brake boss- just bare metal. Did you try swapping the brake arms, just for fit- that will tell you what you need to know.

Beer is my spirit animal
    A little sand paper did the trick. There was more material (looks like they were a little lazy when painting and over-sprayed) on the left boss than on the right, so after I sanded it down the brake slid on like butter. Thanks for your input, though.
    I don't believe anything, but I have many suspicions.
    ― Robert Anton Wilson