I recently purchased a second hand hard tail for the gf and had to swap the slx brakes around so they were the same as our other bikes. I'm newish to hydraulic brakes but thought I would give it a crack. I got the front brake hose/olive out (it was a bit tight, but with a little wangling it came free). The rear did not want to budge. I wiggled it around, used excessive force, put pressure in the line with the lever whilst pulling, but nothing would get the bugger out. In the end the the house snapped inside the lever from me pulling it.
I'm just going to whack new SLX levers on it as these where older 665's. So I ordered new levers and olives to put it all back together (Had some mineral oil coming over anyway)
When I was hunting around for a few replacement olives I grabbed the only ones available on wiggle, but they look different to the ones that I pulled out of the front lever. Upon further research I cant find out what type of olive this is and why it would have been used. I am also interested to know if this is what made the hoses so hard to get out!
If somebody could shed some light on this to further my knowledge that would be great! I'm assuming the olives I purchased from wiggle will all fit hunky dory. I will cut off the one pictured and swap it for a normal one.
Link for Pic
Results 1 to 4 of 4
Thread: Weird looking olive