mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Weird looking olive

I recently purchased a second hand hard tail for the gf and had to swap the slx brakes around so they were the same as our other bikes. I'm newish to hydraulic brakes but thought I would give it a crack. I got the front brake hose/olive out (it was a bit tight, but with a little wangling it came free). The rear did not want to budge. I wiggled it around, used excessive force, put pressure in the line with the lever whilst pulling, but nothing would get the bugger out. In the end the the house snapped inside the lever from me pulling it.

I'm just going to whack new SLX levers on it as these where older 665's. So I ordered new levers and olives to put it all back together (Had some mineral oil coming over anyway)

When I was hunting around for a few replacement olives I grabbed the only ones available on wiggle, but they look different to the ones that I pulled out of the front lever. Upon further research I cant find out what type of olive this is and why it would have been used. I am also interested to know if this is what made the hoses so hard to get out!

If somebody could shed some light on this to further my knowledge that would be great! I'm assuming the olives I purchased from wiggle will all fit hunky dory. I will cut off the one pictured and swap it for a normal one.

Link for Pic
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/hckv9hta7h...dd%20Olive.jpg

mtbr member
    That pic is fairly out of focus, but from what I can tell it looks like a shimano olive to me.

That being said, I have used jagwire olives before, and they look different:

Doubt that was the reason it was difficult to remove - sometimes if an olive is really compressed it almost becomes one with the master cylinder.

mtbr member
    From your image, it looks typical except for the fact that it seems the olive was not pushed up far enough on to the flange when it was compressed. The olive is suppose to be deformed like that (the ridge along it's circumference). 006_007 seems to have the correct pic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Weird looking olive

Yeah for some reason I imagined the olive would be jammed at the end of the hose not 2mm or so from it. I think that is more what took me by surprise. Any idea why the other hose didn't want to come out?

Cheers

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD