mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Weird BB7 problem. Scoring of the rotor.

I just encountered a weird problem. I went for a quick ride to try out some new parts. Just through the parking lot, no off road or dirt. As I was nearly home the front brake started making a grinding noise. When I checked it out, it has a perfect line around the rotor. I pulled the pads and there's a corresponding slot in the pad. They're the ceramic pads and 203mm cleansweep rotors FWIW. I couldn't find any debris in the pad, just a little metal from the rotor. The score isn't bad enough to hurt anything but I don't want it to happen again.

Anyone ever have this happen and is it common? I'm assuming it was something that got between the pad and rotor somehow and it was gone by the time I checked it out. Any known problems with ceramic pads? I wasn't using the brakes much, they were barely warm.

My only worry was that maybe it was some impurity in the pad that accidentally got in the mix.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

This is common and....

it's not really a problem. It can happen to any disc brake if you ride the bike. All it takes is a small pebble or a bit of pea stone or some other small hard object to get caught betwen the pad and the rotor at just the instant when you apply the brakes. I've got a couple of rotors this has happened to. Not really a big deal. It doesn't affect performance or the longevity of the pad or rotor. The only way to prevent it from happning again is to not ride the bike. Not an opption I'm sure. It may happen on the pavement or on the tail. It's just one of the things that we have to live with. Don't sweat it.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"