cbx
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Weighing costs of going to disc. What kind of cost am I looking at?

Hey All,
    Just curious about something as the season kicks in. I am an XC racer/rider and still really love the feel of a light, snappy hardtail. I have dumped a little money into a new fork and have my bike up and running well. My question is with regards to disc brakes or the cost/benefit of switching. I have looked into prices and by comparison to linear pull mechanical brakes the cost seems to be pretty extensive. Here is my current setup breakdown pertaining to brakes. I am currently running Avid Single Digit SL's, XTR levers, and Crossmax Ceramics (older). I have them about as dialed in as possible, though the ceramic coating on the wheels is starting to wear noticeably and am torn on the costs to just get new wheels vs. getting discs and starting from scratch. What am I looking at for like to like conversion? Anyone run high end components and run into a similar issue? Weighing my options (no pun intended). Thank you all in advance for your replies.

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    Not seeing any information to the contrary, I'll assume that your bike frame has disc tabs but does not have disc-compatible wheels.

Cost of disc-ready wheels - $200+
    Cost of entry-level disc brake caliper - $120+ (Avid BB7 calipers, you should be able to use your existing brake levers)

You'll probably go on eBay and find some calipers for less, but I'd say this is a fair estimate of the starting point.
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    1999 Trek 7000 --- Dragonfly Green = Sexy
    2002 Trek 2100
    2008 Felt New Belgium Cruiser

cbx
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Yeah, I have non disc wheels. I might just get a new set of hoops laced up given the new cost of wheels, calipers etc. I was in hopes to do it with like componentry, but XTR/XT level hydros are crazy pricey and to replace my crossmax's I am looking at nearly 600 at best. My problem is I want to minimize the weight gain to my ride.