mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Weak braking power

I have an '09 GF Piranha with hydraulic brakes. I've taken it trail riding five times now and just got it back today from my LBS which did a tune up on it. Both before and after taking it to the LBS, I felt there is too much play in the lever for the rear brake. This is translating to if I want more stopping power I have to pull the lever all the way to the bar.

My front doesn't respond this way. Is there a way to decrease the amount of travel in the lever for a quicker brake response? Since it's hydraulic, I imagine a little more fluid would do the trick but I'm not sure. I asked my LBS to see if they could reduce the travel, but it seems that they didn't even bother.

Shimano M486 hydraulic disc w/ 160mm CenterLock rotor.

Quote Originally Posted by PiranhaFisher
    I have an '09 GF Piranha with hydraulic brakes. I've taken it trail riding five times now and just got it back today from my LBS which did a tune up on it. Both before and after taking it to the LBS, I felt there is too much play in the lever for the rear brake. This is translating to if I want more stopping power I have to pull the lever all the way to the bar.

My front doesn't respond this way. Is there a way to decrease the amount of travel in the lever for a quicker brake response? Since it's hydraulic, I imagine a little more fluid would do the trick but I'm not sure. I asked my LBS to see if they could reduce the travel, but it seems that they didn't even bother.

Shimano M486 hydraulic disc w/ 160mm CenterLock rotor.

You asked them to bleed the brake and they didn't? Or is this a free "tuneup" you're talking about?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    It was the free tune-up, however I asked them to cut down the bars which I paid for and said I would pay for any extra work as needed. Would I need to bleed the line to do this? If I'm able to get directions, I have no issue with trying it myslef.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by PiranhaFisher
    It was the free tune-up, however I asked them to cut down the bars which I paid for and said I would pay for any extra work as needed. Would I need to bleed the line to do this? If I'm able to get directions, I have no issue with trying it myslef.

Go on-line get the techdocs from shimano real easy....

I prefer to use a syringe and inject the new oil up from the brake caliper to the lever....but anyway works.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Found the doc: here.

For what I'm wanting to accomplish would all I need to do is get a syringe and inject more oil at the bleed nipple on the rear caliper?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    hey, i have the same problem. i cant get the rear brakes to lock-up while im riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have way too much going on, so I'll be taking it to the LBS tomorrow and have them take care of it. I'll see if they can give me a quick run down in person on how to do it. I can read manuals all day, but it clicks when someone actually shows me.

mtbr member
    Take your wheel off, and CAREFULLY press/pulse the brake lever in small increments. This will set the pads closer to the disc. Replace your wheel and test brake lever feel w/ wheel installed. If you press to far w/ the disc out of the caliper, your pads might move in too much, and you'll have to pry them apart.