mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Wavy rotors clean and dissipate heat: Bunch of crap??

Hey guys....
    I recently replaced my Avid mech rotors with Hayes Mud Cutter wavy rotors. They stop greatl and look super pimpin' but do wavy rotors actually clean and dissipate heat or is it just a bunch of bs and marketing? My common sense tells me the way the rotor is cut, it doubles as a pad/rotor scraper and also helps in the cooling of the brake--I could be wrong but oh well. What do ya'll think? TIA!!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverStar
    Hey guys....
    I recently replaced my Avid mech rotors with Hayes Mud Cutter wavy rotors. They stop greatl and look super pimpin' but do wavy rotors actually clean and dissipate heat or is it just a bunch of bs and marketing? My common sense tells me the way the rotor is cut, it doubles as a pad/rotor scraper and also helps in the cooling of the brake--I could be wrong but oh well. What do ya'll think? TIA!!
    I have been using Galfer wavey rotors with my Avids for nearly a year. I have noticed much longer pad life, especially in the wet. Wet braking has been more consistent, too. Little change in the dry.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    yes and yes. The shape is responsible for the cleaning action and the increased surface area (from the shape) is where the increased heat dissapation comes into play.

"El Whatever"
    So... should I understand they warp less?? I hope so... then I'll order a pair of Hayes or Maguras wavy rotors.... I can't get avids here.
    Check my Site

Time is not a road.
    Hey guys....
    How much did you pay for the wavy rotors? Do they work with all types of brakes?

Quote Originally Posted by Warp2003
    So... should I understand they warp less?? I hope so... then I'll order a pair of Hayes or Maguras wavy rotors.... I can't get avids here.
    You should be able to get the Galfers.
    mtbtires.com

Do It Yourself
    Dunno if they work better but they look so cool! I wouldn't spend 80 bucks to replace perfectly good round rotors though. If you do upgrade, not all brakes have the same size rotors or brake pad contact area so be sure to get the right ones for your brakes.

Two wheels are best
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy©®™
    Where would you suggest we get them from? What's a fair price for them?
    Never be afraid to try something new.

Remember amateurs built the Ark.
    Professionals built the Titanic.

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp2003
    If you're going to go wavy - go all the way. Hope Gothic!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nothing to see here.

Your LBS can get them from QBP or BTI. Price is about the same as Avid replacement rotors. Mounting bolts are not included.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey guys.
    SSinga, those rotors look sick! i just wanted to add....Like Homebrew said, for anyone wanting wavy or gothic rotors, make sure the braking surface of your original rotor is the same as the new rotors you will be getting, otherwise you will run into not enough braking surface (will rub on the "spokes" of the rotor) or too big of it. I got my Hayes wavy rotors for $110 f&r. I originally wanted the Hopes, but they were in 165mm and I didn't feel like waiting 2 weeks for them to arrive. As far as Galfers, I heard they're bad and they warp easily so I dunno. Galfers are super nice rotors though and are a little on the heavy side.

"El Whatever"

Not in Mexico....

Is a real PITA to get bike supplies here. By the way... I couldn't get the Deore Axle I talked about on other thread. I used some crappy stuff that I will use until the hub breaks and a XT hub is in my future.
    Check my Site

Hey guys.
    SSinga, those rotors look sick! i just wanted to add....Like Homebrew said, for anyone wanting wavy or gothic rotors, make sure the braking surface of your original rotor is the same as the new rotors you will be getting, otherwise you will run into not enough braking surface (will rub on the "spokes" of the rotor) or too big of it. I got my Hayes wavy rotors for $110 f&r. I originally wanted the Hopes, but they were in 165mm and I didn't feel like waiting 2 weeks for them to arrive. As far as Galfers, I heard they're bad and they warp easily so I dunno. Galfers are super nice rotors though and are a little on the heavy side.
    #1: It is not a problem if the brake track of the rotor is wider than stock. Only an issue if it is narrower.

#2: In nearly a year of use I can not had any warping issues with Galfer rotors (185 mm f&r).

#3: The Galfers weight about the same as the Avid rotors they replaced.

#4: Galfer 160 mm rotors can be found for ~$42 each and the 185 mm for ~$50 each.
    mtbtires.com