Thread: Wavy rotors?

Sofa King We Todd Did

Wavy rotors?

Do wavy rotors, i.e. Hope Gothics, Hayes Mud Cutters, Avid Clean-Sweep Serpentines, offer any significant performance advantages over regular run-of-the-mill perfectly round disc rotors? I love the way those Hope Gothics look, but I'd hate to get a pair strictly for aesthetics, which is why I'm asking if they really do work better or if wavy rotors are there for looks for the most part.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I use the Galfer wavey rotors with Avid mechs. There is little or no difference in the dry. They are better than round rotors in the wet and pad life is increased in all conditions. The designs of other brands may work differently.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Sofa King We Todd Did
    You know what's coming next, right? What's the science behind this? Why do wavy rotors work better in the wet and prolong brake pad life like you mentioned?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

New question here. As long as there as good as the stock rotors I want the Hope gothic rotors.

The gothic rotors are soo cool. They really make a bike standout. I wonder if the gothic rotors are stainless like the stock rotor?

Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    You know what's coming next, right? What's the science behind this? Why do wavy rotors work better in the wet and prolong brake pad life like you mentioned?
    The wavey rotor continuously wipes the pad clean. It is also said to allow the pad to cool better during use.
    mtbtires.com

galferusa
    Aug 2004

Galfer brake tips

Quote Originally Posted by Big JuJu
    The gothic rotors are soo cool. They really make a bike standout. I wonder if the gothic rotors are stainless like the stock rotor?
    As far as I know, Hope does use high quality stainless justlike we do.
    Here's the skinny on our Patented "wave rotors"
    #1 they tend to be 5-15% lighter than their round counteparts.
    #2 they stay cooler by preventing the leading edge of the pad from staying in one place at any given moment. Plus they pump cool air into the caliper better than round rotors.
    #3 this is the difference between ours and most everyone elses wave copies- our wave either have no holes at all or specially shaped holes. standard round holes build up dirt and brake debris which quickly scores the pads and thenn the scored pads score the rotors. Hence it all lasts longer. The other companies will say the holes lighten the rotors and keep them cooler. Just the opposite is true. Look at NASCAR, Indycar and formula 1 racing- do they have holes in their rotors? No they don't. Because they know that the extra material in the rotor is better at keeping the system cool than the extra cool air.
    Galfer USA

Sofa King We Todd Did
    I always thought that disc rotors without holes was to maximize the braking surface area, but I suppose increased surface area to dissipate heat makes sense, too. Wish I could check out more of the rotors you offer, galferusa, but your website seems to be down.

galferusa
    Aug 2004

galfer centerlock pics

Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    I always thought that disc rotors without holes was to maximize the braking surface area, but I suppose increased surface area to dissipate heat makes sense, too. Wish I could check out more of the rotors you offer, galferusa, but your website seems to be down.
    We'll have our site back up in afew weeks with our (finally!) completed dedicated bicycle section. And we have our spline mount rotors being debued at Interbike- here is a spy shot of them...Galfer USA
    Attached Images Attached Images

I will stop by to see you at IB, Andy. Bringing the pads you sent me to try.
    -shiggy
    mtbtires.com