Thread: Wavy Rotors

J_B
    3056-BigGameHunter

Wavy Rotors

Good, Bad or Hype?

I was thinking of changing my 8" Hayes rotors to the Galfer rotors. Does anyone have some time on the Galfer wavy rotors or similar rotors? Am I just going to waste my money?

mmm, carbon
    Jan 2004
    Mostly hype, in my opinion. I've been running the Juicys for a few months now, and I don't really buy into the rotor cleaning thing. On the other hand I make a point of cleaning my rotors manually anyway, so maybe if you didn't it would make more of a difference. I've put a round rotor on for comparison. In general I find that the round rotor tends to squeel less. Also, it may just be in my head, but I feel the round rotor has slightly more power.

On the plus side, wavy rotors tend to look really cool, but that's about all I can come up with. Mr Galfer can keep his patent as far as I'm concerned, it's not worth much.

EDIT: [cue the Galfer dude posting that Avid are doing it ALL WRONG]

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by J_B
    Good, Bad or Hype?

I was thinking of changing my 8" Hayes rotors to the Galfer rotors. Does anyone have some time on the Galfer wavy rotors or similar rotors? Am I just going to waste my money?
    I have been running Galfers since last summer. I there is no real difference in feel or power but my pads have lasted longer, especially in the wet. I like 'em. Wish they came with mounting bolts.

I do not think they are worth getting if your stock rotors are in good shape. As replacements (because of damage or wear) or for a second wheelset they are a must buy for me.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

www.derbyrims.com

Clears mud much better

Quote Originally Posted by J_B
    Good, Bad or Hype?

The wave pattern cut is a way to add surface area for cooling and pad self cleaning rather than holes. There may be a slight pad friction increase with softer pads in dry conditions compared to round edged rotors with very small holes or none at all.

The only significant advantage, and a big one in wet environments, is the Galfer wave pattern clears mud very well. Rotors with holes pack mud and never clear, reducing brake power to near nothing, and wearing pads out much faster.

There are other styles of wave or notch edged rotors that have no significant advantage except fashion, especially if they have holes drilled in them too.

- ray