mtbr member
    Jan 2004

wave rotor upgrade

Looking to upgrade my 03 hayes mag rotors to wave just because I like the looks. There, I said it.
    I know a guy on ebay was selling some for a decent price ($27 each), but now that he's not I'm looking for a new source. Anyone have a lead on some 160mm 6-bolt wave rotors that don't cost $50 each?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I think that the guy on ebay had some chinese made copies for sale. Which inherently conflicted with the galfer patent. Much likely the supply from China dried up, or he just got rid of all the " free " samples he got.

which leaves Galfer USA the only source for wave rotors. Which is not necessary a bad thing as those guys know about quality control......

I do have some chinese titanium rotors which were cheap, but unfortunately not all that round, plus the bolt circle was off ...lol in other words totally worthless... I am gonna make a wall mounted watch out of them ... lol

50 bucks are a hefty price for a rotor, I agree, but in this case you get what you pay for.

brakemeister

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by danK
    Looking to upgrade my 03 hayes mag rotors to wave just because I like the looks. There, I said it.
    I know a guy on ebay was selling some for a decent price ($27 each), but now that he's not I'm looking for a new source. Anyone have a lead on some 160mm 6-bolt wave rotors that don't cost $50 each?

Not sure about wavy rotors for under 50, but if you want the ultimate in cool looks, how about getting rotors with a personalized message laser cut into them.

http://www.hopetech.com/products/products_index.htm

similar to this idea....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Looks like the guy is selling them again. Says they're made in Ohio.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=7102122085
    Seems he has two patterns; the ugly sperm and the so-so whatever that is.
    Last edited by danK; 09-15-2004 at 07:10 PM. Reason: more info

mtbr member
    Looks like the guy is selling them again. Says they're made in Ohio.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=7102122085
    Seems he has two patterns; the ugly sperm and the so-so whatever that is.

Wow, they DO look like sperm.

Would go great with my socks though:

mtbr member

Galfer is WORTH IT!

The looks are cool BUT you'll be glad you spent the jingo as the wave rotors (at least the Galfer ones that I have) dissipate heat much better and I stop quicker too. I almost threw out my whole Hayes system before I discovered the Galfers and now they're on both my M1 and Blur. Furthermore, Hayes is putting the waves on their '05's and it's not because of looks, I can assure you!!!

Ride fast, take chances,

G MAN

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hayes has had their own wavy rotor (the "Mud Cutter") for some time. Pricepoint has them for about $43 each.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/12915-115_HAYWR4-3-Parts-46-Brakes/Accessories-/Hayes-Mud-Cutter-Wavy-Disc-Brake-Rotor---6''.htm
    I bike; therefore, I work

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by VT no 1 2 or 3
    Hayes has had their own wavy rotor (the "Mud Cutter") for some time. Pricepoint has them for about $43 each.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/12915-115_HAYWR4-3-Parts-46-Brakes/Accessories-/Hayes-Mud-Cutter-Wavy-Disc-Brake-Rotor---6''.htm
    Seeing as how other rotors are costing $43 and up, I went ahead and bought two of those ebay rotors for $48 delivered. We'll see how they hold up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Rotors

The rotors that hayes will be using in 2005 are produced by a company called BRAKING, they are a completely different design than than most other rotors. I got to talking with the guy who was in charge of the mt bike side of the company, he hapens to be my friends next door neighbor, and he was telling me all about how the rotors actually have a carbon content and bla bla bla, well long story short, they work well but make sure you use organinc pads, and never used brake parts cleaner on them

galferusa
    Aug 2004

personalized rotors

Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    Not sure about wavy rotors for under 50, but if you want the ultimate in cool looks, how about getting rotors with a personalized message laser cut into them.

http://www.hopetech.com/products/products_index.htm

similar to this idea....

I agree, they do look cool but the problem is that it leaves you with a very uneven braking surface. In other words, there are some places on the blade (pad tracking surface) where much of the pad is in contact with the metal blade. And then there are places where very little is contacting. Plus, extreme heat in those tiny steel tangs that make up the lettering causes the tangs to break and warp. We just delivered the first batch of rotors to Foes Racing that have the personalized section deisgned into the spokes of the rotors and not the blades. They are REALLY nice! We can do that for other companies in very small batches and are working on a probragam so that individuals can personalize their rotors but leave the blade intact.
    Galfer USA

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by galferusa
    I agree, they do look cool but the problem is that it leaves you with a very uneven braking surface. In other words, there are some places on the blade (pad tracking surface) where much of the pad is in contact with the metal blade. And then there are places where very little is contacting. Plus, extreme heat in those tiny steel tangs that make up the lettering causes the tangs to break and warp. We just delivered the first batch of rotors to Foes Racing that have the personalized section deisgned into the spokes of the rotors and not the blades. They are REALLY nice! We can do that for other companies in very small batches and are working on a probragam so that individuals can personalize their rotors but leave the blade intact.
    Galfer USA
    Maybe some laser etching on the braking surface of the rotor??? That would be cool and would not affect too much as long as the etching is not too deep and form stress points. Heck!! With laser you can even round the edges of the etching to minimize the effect.
    Check my Site

galferusa
    Aug 2004

laser etching

Quote Originally Posted by Warp2003
    Maybe some laser etching on the braking surface of the rotor??? That would be cool and would not affect too much as long as the etching is not too deep and form stress points. Heck!! With laser you can even round the edges of the etching to minimize the effect.
    We laser etch most of our rotors with our logo and model# but we don't do it on the blade. Laser etching essentially just burns the very top layer of the steel. If it were in the blade portion, the pad would rub it off in a short time. We've tried it for giggles. Kind of like a polished aluminum frame....lookd great on the showroom floor but after some use it looks like hell...send me an e-mail next week to remind me and I'll send you photos of the new Foes rotor we did.
    andy@galferusa.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Ebay Rotors

Seeing as how other rotors are costing $43 and up, I went ahead and bought two of those ebay rotors for $48 delivered. We'll see how they hold up.
    DanK, How'd these rotors work out for you?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bacolmm
    DanK, How'd these rotors work out for you?
    The quality was great and everyone noticed the unique look (without me saying, "Hey, you like my wave rotors?"). I did not ride in mud with them so I can't comment on the cleaning/scraping capabilities, but it's safe to presume they'd work well like other similar designs.
    The ebay seller's price is great and the allen-bolts were a nice touch. I sold the rotors and bolts because I sold the brake system; didn't lose a dollar on the deal. Would I do it again? Only if I needed to update an older set, but I would not replace the newer disc models' wave rotors for these.

mtbr member

hayes mud cutters from hong kong on ebay

There was/is a another guy on ebay selling the hayes mud cutters from Hong Kong. Look out for them.

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Crashtdp
    he was telling me all about how the rotors actually have a carbon content and bla bla bla
    All steel has carbon content. Iron + Carbon = Steel. Might have to do with the specific ratios + other metals though.
    Long Live Long Rides

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    All steel has carbon content. Iron + Carbon = Steel. Might have to do with the specific ratios + other metals though.
    Spot on, Brew! Actually some Cr would be desirable in the alloy to give it some resistance to temperature changes. Not all stainless is good as it decarburizes with repeated heating/cooling and form eventual micro-cracks which can lead to failure. It's a rare scenario but it may happen.

Most SS is Cr-Ni but not all are good for temperature changes.
    Check my Site