Cheesiest

Washers on Avid Discs

I was going to install an Avid caliper (rear) when I noticed that in the Barnett's chapter on installing disc brakes, it says to put the bolts and washers in when mounting it to the frame. The brakes didn't come with extra washers, and the instructions didn't say anything. I figured it was alright and installed it anyway, but should I get some washers. I am interested in what other people have done.

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by intheways
    I was going to install an Avid caliper (rear) when I noticed that in the Barnett's chapter on installing disc brakes, it says to put the bolts and washers in when mounting it to the frame. The brakes didn't come with extra washers, and the instructions didn't say anything. I figured it was alright and installed it anyway, but should I get some washers. I am interested in what other people have done.
    Avid's CPS mounting eliminates the need for washers and shims for alignment. They should bolt up fine with the supplied hardware.

mtbr member
    Installed mine last night! On the frame, i did not need any shims or washers. Everything lined up well. Just follow the directions for aligning the rotor in the caliper...On the front fork was another story. I installed per directions. But the rotor was rubbing the inboard side with no space to manuever. And nothing in the directions about this problem. My new fork came with some spare parts( 2 washers.Housing ferrules.air nipple). so i tried these and it centered up perfectly! leonard zinn had some directions on this in his book. And of course i would love any feedback on this. I`m waitng for my lbs to open so i can talk too my buddy scott........................ghost
    A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five.
    -Groucho Marx

Fat Boy Deluxe
    Quote Originally Posted by GhstRydrX
    Installed mine last night! On the frame, i did not need any shims or washers. Everything lined up well. Just follow the directions for aligning the rotor in the caliper...On the front fork was another story. I installed per directions. But the rotor was rubbing the inboard side with no space to manuever. And nothing in the directions about this problem. My new fork came with some spare parts( 2 washers.Housing ferrules.air nipple). so i tried these and it centered up perfectly! leonard zinn had some directions on this in his book. And of course i would love any feedback on this. I`m waitng for my lbs to open so i can talk too my buddy scott........................ghost
    Not sure if you have the same problem I had, but my issue was after installing the front Juicy caliper and putting the wheel in place, I got a funny click click rubbing noise. Turned out to just be the screw holding the caliper mount in place was too long and hitting the rotor. When I backed it out a couple of turns it was fine. I just took a regular small washer and placed it between the screw and the fork and haven't had any problems running that setup for over a month now.

DT

mtbr member

Good job! 5 out of 5 for installation

Both the Avid mechanical and hydraulic brakes use the same, super simple, very accurate method of mounting and alignment, It makes setting up the brakes easier than Vees, and any first timer could easily do it.

Sounds like it worked out great for you.

mtbr member
    i would agree. 5 flaming chilles for ease of setup. Last night i stressed over the front setup(rotor rubbing inboard side). I must have loosened and reset a half o dozen times. I was super tired and distracted all night. After reading through Zinns book. He suggest that IS mounts would need small shims or washers to align the caliper properly. So after reading, i walked away from it...went too sleep....6:15 this morning i`m up with a plan, somewhere in my sleep i remembered that i recieved some small parts with my Marz. Z150FR. so i break the setup down. throw the washers into the mix and bingo, working at perfekt!!! needless to say, after all this joyous moment. it was time to get ready to head out for WORK. Talked to my guru (scott) at breaktime, and was reassured i was on the right path. So at lunch time i was riding back too work on my new bike for the first time....what a great ride.............................................. .......ghost

P.S. so in my long rant, the avids were pretty easy to hook up.......just learn too get yourself out of the way!
    -Groucho Marx

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by DmofoT
    Not sure if you have the same problem I had, but my issue was after installing the front Juicy caliper and putting the wheel in place, I got a funny click click rubbing noise. Turned out to just be the screw holding the caliper mount in place was too long and hitting the rotor. When I backed it out a couple of turns it was fine. I just took a regular small washer and placed it between the screw and the fork and haven't had any problems running that setup for over a month now.

DT
    I had to do the same thing with my steel rigid fork.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Fat Boy Deluxe
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy©®™
    I had to do the same thing with my steel rigid fork.
    Ah, maybe that's the pattern then. Mine was also a steel rigid fork...

DT

mtbr member
    One last tidbit, through all of that. The directions were all very easy too follow. Just no info in the warranty manual from Marz. or from the directions for the avid mech`s or the full metal jackets. About adding spacers or washers too the mix. Thanks too leonard Zinn and the art of mtb. main. I would probably be posting that i needed help. anyways as soon as i get my pics and disc back from the developer I`ll post many pics.............................................g host
    -Groucho Marx