renaissance cyclist

Warning: Alligator center-lock adapter

I installed some Hayes Hydraulics yesterday, and used this adaptor to put the V6 rotor on my XT center-lock hubs. I just want to warn people about a few things:

1. The picture on the package showing how they go together is completely backward, luckily, itís a simple device, and wasnít hard to figure out. I just thought it was kind of lame that they couldnít get the picture right.
    2. The lock-ring stripped before I could get it tightened to the prescribed 40Nm . I ended up using the rings from my old Shimano rotors (I guess I wonít be selling them), and given the large discrepancy Iím not feeling too confident about the adaptors in general.

They are working OK for now, but I think itís definitely worthwhile to pay a little extra for the DT adapters.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    too bad to hear about the alligator adapters

BTW, Shimano now also makes 6 bolt to centerlock adapters
    http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?p...ajor=6&minor=8

renaissance cyclist
    They do look sturdier than the Alligator adapters. At 126g, Iíd hope they would be. The DT is 29g and the alligator was 20g (We obviously pay for the lightness in fragility though)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by debusama
    They do look sturdier than the Alligator adapters. At 126g, Iíd hope they would be. The DT is 29g and the alligator was 20g (We obviously pay for the lightness in fragility though)
    126g

You must be kidding...
    When it's time to go, is time to go.
    Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by kiatkiat
    126g

You must be kidding...
    I do not think they are that heavy, but I will weigh mine when I get a chance. The included circlip is not needed and is a PITA if you change rotors often. More of a redundancy retention item. You do need the washer for spacing reasons. The steel pins are also an overbuilt feature.

DT does not use the clip or the washer and it has no issues.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

R.I.P. DogFriend

I had the Alligator CL-2-6 Bolt adapter on my 29er for about 2 weeks. Today on the way back out from my ride, the (185mm) rotor jumped off the pegs on the adapter and spun a bit. The lockring was still torqued down and I keepy calipers/pads adjusted so the rotor flexes very little to get contact from both pads. I now see why the DT version has longers pegs that are half machined off to allow clearance for the lockring.

The lockring covers half of the peg, the pegs were just slightly shorter than being flush with the outside of the rotor and the lockring does not appear to be deformed, so I am surprised it would do this, but it did.

mtbr member

more explanation needed

I'm not quite getting what the issue is...some help?

I just bought two of the Alligator adapters and don't want to mess things up...

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
    Interestingly, I have the DT adaptor and it, for me and a couple of my team mates, doesn't work very well. I believe it has more to do with the crappy Center Lock system than anything else. My rotor always feels loose (like a loose headset) when I use the wheel with Center Lock. That feeling goes away as soon as I switch back to 6 bolt. Any suggestions? I was going to try the Alligator since it's an Alligator rotor I'm using as of now. Another thought might be to try an XTR rotor with my XO brakes.