mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Wanted: most durable disc brake pads

I'm not really satisfied with the duration of my EBC gold pads (only about 1500 km), though they are advertised as being the most durable brake pads. Anyone here that knows other (sintered) pads with more lifetime? Perhaps Alligator or Koolstop sintered, Trickstuff etc.?

Flaccid Member
    I get about 20% more miles of brake life out of sintered pads versus semi metallic, regardless of brand. True, they don't overheat, and true they don't glaze and squeal like my semi metallicse , but they cost a lot more than what I pay for Disco brake pads on Ebay

I've pretty much decided that I will run sintered pad when I do lift assist runs at Mammoth Mtn and run semi metallics all other times. Pads are wear items, if I get 7 or 800 miles out of a set of pads, that's great.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    I get about 20% more miles of brake life out of sintered pads versus semi metallic, regardless of brand. True, they don't overheat, and true they don't glaze and squeal like my semi metallicse , but they cost a lot more than what I pay for Disco brake pads on Ebay

I've pretty much decided that I will run sintered pad when I do lift assist runs at Mammoth Mtn and run semi metallics all other times. Pads are wear items, if I get 7 or 800 miles out of a set of pads, that's great.
    Thats no joke about the sintered pads. Got 3k mi out of the rear and 2k mi out of the fronts on my '03 hope mono mini pads. Have not seen anything like it since.

nnn
    mtbr member
    Not sure what you mean by sintered (all pads are technically sintered) but if you really want durability get the disco brakes red ceramic compound -> 3x the lifetime....1/3 the stopping power
    "Life begins at 140" Richard Burns
    http://www.nikolay-k.com

Just another data point...

I recently installed some "Disco" ceramic C, black, low density pads that I got off eBay. The first ride was a dozen miles of moderate terrain. The next ride had some serious downhill charging, and those pads faded away like an Iraqi Republican Guard Unit.

Sure, they were ten bucks a pair, as opposed to twenty bucks for the OEM pads, but I'd MUCH rather pay the extra ten bucks for GOOD braking. Those "Disco" brakes will never again be run on my bikes.