mtbr member
    Apr 2011

want to switch my front bake from disc to v brake: RockShox Tora 29, 100mm travel

I have the trek mamba..... I think it has a rock shox tora 29 fork. is that compatible with v brakes? I'm switching to v brakes so that I can get fit a beefy 72v electric hub motor in there.

Would it work? If it won't work, is there some kind of jerry rig that can be done in order to make it work. I swear I remember somebody posting something about jb welding a u bolt onto the fork in order to make it accept a v brake. Does that sound completely stupid? Do you have any reasons why I shouldn't do this? Even if a jerry rig isn't needed, do you think its a bad idea to swap out my disc in front. I would keep my disc in back so I would at least still have some disc quality. I should mention that I live in a very dry climate and I literally never ride in conditions where discs are required. Anyway, my main question is: wil my fork even accept a v brake?

Looks like the fork I have is the: RockShox Tora 29, 100mm travel

Here is a link to all the specs on my bike:
    BikePedia - 2011 Trek Mamba Complete Bicycle
    Last edited by package81; 09-10-2011 at 10:34 PM.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by package81 View Post
    I have the trek mamba..... I think it has a rock shox tora 29 fork. is that compatible with v brakes? I'm switching to v brakes so that I can get fit a beefy 72v electric hub motor in there.

Would it work? If it won't work, is there some kind of jerry rig that can be done in order to make it work. I swear I remember somebody posting something about jb welding a u bolt onto the fork in order to make it accept a v brake. Does that sound completely stupid? Do you have any reasons why I shouldn't do this? Even if a jerry rig isn't needed, do you think its a bad idea to swap out my disc in front. I would keep my disc in back so I would at least still have some disc quality. I should mention that I live in a very dry climate and I literally never ride in conditions where discs are required. Anyway, my main question is: wil my fork even accept a v brake?

Looks like the fork I have is the: RockShox Tora 29, 100mm travel

Here is a link to all the specs on my bike:
    BikePedia - 2011 Trek Mamba Complete Bicycle
    Not possible.

Silly to replace the disc brake. Most of your braking is at the front. Even in dry conditions, discs work better
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    hmmmmm...... so I guess if it's not possible, that ends to convo right there. Can I at least get a couple more people to verify that it is in fact not possible?

I guess if it's really not possible, I will just try to look for a cheap used roadbike, with v brakes, to use as my eBike. I will keep my Mamba pure and use it for strictly trails. Darn.... i was really hoping to only have one bike do it all.

btw... there must be something wrong with my disc brakes because first of all, they don't stop my bike as fast as my $100 walmart schwinn with V brakes stops. Also, they sound like hell.... and the front is definitely not as responsive as the back. To me, the back seems far more important based on what I've felt. It makes sense that the back would be more crucial doesn't it.... seeing as though the rear wheel is the one powering the bike. I admit, I don't understand the physics behind bikes, so that previous statement may have been completely idiotic. But either I'm right, or there is something wrong with my front brake, because the rear definitely provides more stopping power on my bike.

Maybe it's just accepted that the front is more important, because brakes effectiveness and importantness are not based on being able to stop the bike quickly(hence why the front does not stop the bike even close to as fast as the rear). Maybe the front is considered more effective/important b/c it shines in moderate stop-and-go/cornering/agility conditions on trails, as opposed to fast sudden complete stops. That's the only reason why I can imagine people would say that the front is more important.

All I know is, based on my experience and the conditions that I ride in, I regret paying for disc brakes. I was called a fool and mocked on this forum a few months back when I said I wanted v brakes. So I figured the experts would know best and I went ahead and spend an extra $300 for disc brakes. I regret it. I'm positive I would be just fine, if not better, with V brakes. and i wouldn't have to hear a crushed kitten everytime i stop hard.
    Last edited by package81; 09-10-2011 at 11:53 PM.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    hmmmmm...... so I guess if it's not possible, that ends to convo right there. Can I at least get a couple more people to verify that it is in fact not possible?

I guess if it's really not possible, I will just try to look for a cheap used roadbike, with v brakes, to use as my eBike. I will keep my Mamba pure and use it for strictly trails. Darn.... i was really hoping to only have one bike do it all.

btw... there must be something wrong with my disc brakes because first of all, they don't stop my bike as fast as my $100 walmart schwinn with V brakes stops. Also, they sound like hell.... and the front is definitely not as responsive as the back. To me, the back seems far more important based on what I've felt. It makes sense that the back would be more crucial doesn't it.... seeing as though the rear wheel is the one powering the bike. I admit, I don't understand the physics behind bikes, so that previous statement may have been completely idiotic. But either I'm right, or there is something wrong with my front brake, because the rear definitely provides more stopping power on my bike.

Maybe it's just accepted that the front is more important, because brakes effectiveness and importantness are not based on being able to stop the bike quickly(hence why the front does not stop the bike even close to as fast as the rear). Maybe the front is considered more effective/important b/c it shines in moderate stop and go conditions on trails, as opposed to fast sudden complete stops. That's the only reason why I can imagine people would say that the front is more important.

All I know is, based on my experience and the conditions that I ride in, I regret paying for disc brakes. I was called a fool and mocked on this forum a few months back when I said I wanted v brakes. So I figured the experts would know best and I went ahead and spend an extra $300 for disc brakes. I regret it. I'm positive I would be just fine, if not better, with V brakes. and i wouldn't have to hear a crushed kitten everytime i stop hard.
    Sorry, it is totally impossible for you to add rim brakes to your fork. Period.

Sounds like you need to have a qualified mechanic work on your brakes.

And you misunderstand of how brakes work. The front brakes DOES stop/slow a bike more quickly than the rear brake.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    ok you seem sure enough that i trust you alone.

yeah I figured there must be something wrong with my front brake.

mtbr member
    Listen to Shiggy. He speaks the truth.
    Your fork is not modifiable.
    The front brake provide ~70% of your stopping power be it bicycle, motorbike, etc.
    Sounds like you need to have your brakes serviced.
    And disc brakes are generally more powerful than V-brakes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    replacing disc brakes with v-brakes would be like going into a modern day battle with only a sword- for lack of a better analogy. but yeah the wheels have to have a braking surface for the v-brakes

b a n n e d
    Another vote of affirmation that you cannot add v-brakes to your fork, nor can you "jury rig" something to make it work.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    K thanks for setting me straight guys. I will just buy a seperate bike. Or I might even just buy a motorcycle because this ebike idea is growing into a ridiculous state. I thought bikes would be a lot more versatile than they have turned out to be.

mtbr member
    just buy a motorcycle because this ebike idea is growing into a ridiculous state.

I thought bikes would be a lot more versatile than they have turned out to be.
    ???? How is a bicycle not versatile? It does exactly as advertised. It can go on-road, off-road, parking is not a problem....I can not think of much that is more versatile.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    If i flap my arms really hard mine will fly too