mtbr member

Views on 2002 Louise FR

The reviews seem to damn the older versions of this brake, while they are quite positive for the 2002 and later models.

This is supposed to be a 2002. What are your thoughts on this for the equivqalent of US$60?

Thanks

Wombat
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Nice brakes man.

I had a good experience when I ran those Louise FR brakes on my Giant AC and Kona Cowan. I had plenty of stopping power taking them down Big Bear chair lift runs. No fade at all. No howling problems.

The levers don't feel as sturdy and solid as Hayes levers, but that's just a personal preference deal. I had one good spill where the bars spun and levers and hoses were just fine. 7 inch rotors are a good size I think and these Louise FR models had 7 in the front and back.

Bodhisattva
    60 bones is a steal.
    I used that brake for 2 seasons and loved them. I replaced them with new generation Louise FR because of upgradeitis and notice no difference in braking performance between them.
    I agree with the other poster that the levers tend to rattle but there is a quick fix for that which can be done periodically and the levers are easy to replace via Magura.
    Life....the original terminal illness

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I have the same brakes on my bike, and I have been pretty happy with them. If you are the kind of person who needs to have a very solid feeling lever like Shimano or Hope, then these may not be your cup of tea. But, they do work very well. I got mine for $200 a pair and felt that was a smokin' deal, so at $60 go for it. Just make sure that they are in good shape if they have been used, and if they are being sold from somewhere like Supergo they probably will not come with the required stuff needed for the Magura warranty. But don't let that discourage you, Magura will still offer very good tech support. On a final note, they are a pain to bleed compared to other brakes IMO. But if you follow the instructions on the Magura cult web site you should be ok.