Mountain Man Dan

Vibrating Problem

Hey, I have Avid BB5 brakes, when I go slow and use the back one, you can feel the pads glide over all the holes in the G2 clean sweep rotor, when I got fast, it vibrates quite a bit, no squealing though.

How do I fix this?
    The bike is nothing more then circles turning circles, It's the human motor that makes it elegant.

Mountain Man Dan
    Help? Would wind cutter rotors help?
    The bike is nothing more then circles turning circles, It's the human motor that makes it elegant.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    There is no one way, but the following has worked for me.

Check the torque on all the brake fasteners. While youre at it, grease the mounting washers, check alignment too. Adjust as necessary.

Take out the pads and inspect for problems. Removing the glaze can help. Now get some 150-400 grit sand paper and a really flat surface. I like 400 and use a large hand mirror. Dont sand the pad surface askew. Sand the pads very lightly until a new surface comes up. About 2-3 light passes.

Before you reinstall, clean the brake calipers and the newly sanded pads. The easiest way for me is to blast it with brake cleaner, shielding the rest of the bike with a paper towel. You could also use alcohol with a sprayer. Use enough liquid so that stuff washes down from the caliper. Wipe down the rotors with the solvent you are using.

Bed the brakes again.It will squeal during the bedding procedure. That will go away.

A wash down with solvent every month or two seems to be best. Specially after the bike is washed. Sand the pads again when the judder comes back.

If that doesnt do anything, go to your LBS and check out a set of shimanos
    Last edited by bing!; 09-11-2010 at 11:51 AM.

Mountain Man Dan
    Just sanded the pads and cleaned/aligned the rotors. Bed the brakes..........I don't think I even did that when I got it a month ago, nobody informed me of that!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ProjectDan35
    Just sanded the pads and cleaned/aligned the rotors. Bed the brakes..........I don't think I even did that when I got it a month ago, nobody informed me of that!
    So, how'd it go?

Mountain Man Dan
    Still vibrates!