mtbr member

Very stiff Shimano 2008 XT brake lever

So I got a pair of Shimano 08 XT M775 hydro brake levers (awesome) and set them with Saint calipers.

My front brake feels too stiff.... well, is nice but the lever travel is very short and I get massive stopping power moving the lever just a little, it's hard to modulate too much power.

The rear brake was a little harder to bleed but I think it's completely bleed, however this one is not exactly as stiff as the front, is still harder and stiffer than with the lever I had before, so this one is nice to control that massive power with my fingers.

I wonder if I can loose a little in some way that stiffness in my front brake so that I can modulate the power better with my fingers... or am I missing something? Sorry this are my first hydros

I've played a little with the stroke free and reach adjustments and wow! but nothing to set that stiffness or modulate that much power.

Maybe I can live with that, after all is a tiny difference between the front and the rear. Anyway I'm still wondering.
    voycaminandoenlacallemirandoalasmuchachas mirandoalasmuchachas hayunasrubiasgraciosasmorenashermosasypreciosas

mtbr member
    How stiff is stiff? Is there any free play in the lever at all? My XTR levers have a fair amount of lever play (from totally off to totally on), would have expected the xts of the same design to be similar.

Meh.
    There's the freestroke screw adjuster. Adjust it for more freestroke. The 2008 XT stuff is designed for the 2008 XT caliper. This caliper has more pad clearance, so it moves the piston further. I suspect this might be part of the problem.

Are the brakes overfilled? Level the levers, remove the resi cap, reset the pistons.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnkiwi
    How stiff is stiff? Is there any free play in the lever at all? My XTR levers have a fair amount of lever play (from totally off to totally on), would have expected the xts of the same design to be similar.
    Half or a little less, it's really a little play.
    voycaminandoenlacallemirandoalasmuchachas mirandoalasmuchachas hayunasrubiasgraciosasmorenashermosasypreciosas

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    There's the freestroke screw adjuster. Adjust it for more freestroke. The 2008 XT stuff is designed for the 2008 XT caliper. This caliper has more pad clearance, so it moves the piston further. I suspect this might be part of the problem.

Are the brakes overfilled? Level the levers, remove the resi cap, reset the pistons.
    The freestroke seems not to do anything with the saints. But let me try what you say, I'm wondering maybe it's overfilled, I'd tell you later.

Meh.
    It shouldn't matter what caliper it's hooked up to, the freestroke adjuster should make a difference. The caliper doesn't know what's going on at the lever.

mtbr member
    Well, the thing here is that these pistons on the Saints doesn't return to a backward position, just when they are reseted, that's why.

I tried to remove some oil from the reservoir, didn't work. After reseting the pistons at the caliper, the first time the lever is pushed takes almost all it's travel, then the pistons goes to a position where always rubs the rotor a little, then the lever is stiff again where only about half movement of the lever it's possible.

I dunno if reseting the pistons after moving the free stroke adjustment would do a difference. I'd have to try more time, however I tried once and doesn't seems to have make a big difference.

Anyway now both levers feels the same lol, a middle point between both were. I think moving the bike up and down helped the oil to make both levers feel even. Oh well, I think half lever stroke is not that bad. At least now both feels the same