mtbr member
    Apr 2009

very loud rear brake

Hey guys, I have been running my new Avid Elixir R's for a few weeks now, and the rear brake has been REALLY loud. It is not squeaking, it sounds more like a loud fog forn when braking! I was hoping it would go away after the break in period, but no luck. Any ideas what would be causing this and how to get it fixed? Or am I just stuck with loud brakes?? btw, I am running the 203mm G3 rotors that came with the brakes. Thanks!

mtbr member
    I have the same issue...except with my front...and only when its wet..... I hope someone answers one of our posts
    Hey!! I found my limit.... lets see what happens when I push it about 2 notches farther....

Former Bike Wrench
    My guess is that your pads are contaminated...probably with oil or brake fluid. If you've bled them with the pads on and got some brake fluid on the pads...OR...when oiling your chain you sprayed some oil onto the rotor accidently, you could have easily contaminated the pads. Remove the pads and "cook" them...using heat or flame to the backside of the pads to burn off contaminates. Also, clean your rotors with isotropic alcohol regularly to keep contaminates out of your pads.

Meh.
    Check for glaze or contamination. You can sand/burn the pads, but if they are contaminated, they may never be 100% again. Clean the rotor thoroughly. Make sure that the caliper is centered correctly. Check the fastener torque. Check the hubs for play. If it's a full suspension, check the pivots for play and check the torque. Bed the pads in again properly. Build heat into the rotor, build up speed, ream on the brakes, release before you come to a complete stop, repeat.

The guys who have the most noise are those who pay the least attention to the details in setup....
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    thanks everyone! I will check all of these possibilities

Pick a wheel size...
    I too am having problems with the Elixir CRs and a loud noise from my rear brake. I have been searching the forums for ways to fix this and this thread has given me the most relevant information.

Please post up after you have tried alleviating the issue with what you did, what worked, and what didn't...I'll do the same.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Having the same problem also with my Elixir CRs...

Having the same problem also with my Elixir CRs, has been into the shop numerous times and sometimes it helps for a ride or two and then it starts again. Don't mind the noise, but hate the VIBRATION thru the whole bike. Shop has put a spacer on the brake mount to try and raise the caliper so the pads will not hit the spokes (on the rotor). So far I am not impressed with Avid brakes, had similar problems with Juicy 7s. Would love to know the fix if anyone can ever figure it out. My shop is baffled and gives me a hard time about me being picky, but....

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    The guys who have the most noise are those who pay the least attention to the details in setup....
    now that's helpful

and if the brakes came installed on the bike? still my fault?

mtbr member
    Just a troll. Every forum has them. Sadly, if you ignore them they don't go away.

Look toward the third or fourth entry on this thread. I think you'll find an answer there.
    Hey!! I found my limit.... lets see what happens when I push it about 2 notches farther....

Quote Originally Posted by fl4tt1re
    now that's helpful

and if the brakes came installed on the bike? still my fault?

If you didn't install them why would you think you were at fault? The guy who assembled the bike, sure. The point is it's a solvable problem, and sometimes just takes extra effort in paying attention to exactly what is going on at that interface of the rotor/caliper/bike. I install all my own gear, but if the shop needs to help solve problems in setup, hopefully they will (or you learn to do your own work).

I'm in the middle of solving some fitment issues on some new brakes (Elixir CRs) myself, but I'll solve it even though they're only on this particular bike short term (until another frame it was intended for, but found cracks in as I was preparing to install them, is replaced). In my case the combination of the fork's post mounts and the hub tolerances aren't allowing the caliper to sit where it needs to to be rub-free (the rotor is slightly rubbing on the outboard pad). My possible solutions are in flipping the axle around in the hub to see if there's a slight difference in spacing, or getting the dremel out and modifying the adapter. The rear was a bit fussy in that the tabs on the frame are a bit out of spec but with the artful use of a spacer got around the alignment issue that the CPS washers couldn't handle.
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Have the same problem with my Ultimates. After 2 or 3 rides on the new Stumpy FSR the rear brake yelps and vibrates. About to sand down the pads

ballbuster

I have another theory

Quote Originally Posted by statenine
    Hey guys, I have been running my new Avid Elixir R's for a few weeks now, and the rear brake has been REALLY loud. It is not squeaking, it sounds more like a loud fog forn when braking! I was hoping it would go away after the break in period, but no luck. Any ideas what would be causing this and how to get it fixed? Or am I just stuck with loud brakes?? btw, I am running the 203mm G3 rotors that came with the brakes. Thanks!

Let me guess.... hardtail frame, maybe steel?

I put some older Hope Minis with 185 rotors on my Monocog29er. The thing honked so badly my bike would tickle my feet through the pedals. I tried decontaminating pads and rotors, re-bedding them, I tried different pads, everything! Finally, I moved same exact brakes to my Stumpjumper FSR-XC and they were dead quiet, and robbed my stumpy for the Hope Mono Minis with 160mm rotors, and put them on my MC29er. Also quiet.

Some brakes just resonate against the frame in a way that makes it honk. I might suggest trying a smaller rotor in back to see if the problem goes away. I mean, a 203mm rotor in back is pretty excessive anyway, IMO, unless you weigh 250 and ride lots of fast steeps. A smaller rotor will resonate at a different frequency, hopefully one that is not a frequency that is picked up by the frame and made to ring (honk).

Bikingfool... not everything is the fault of improper setup. Some equipment just won't play well with other equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    Let me guess.... hardtail frame, maybe steel?

I put some older Hope Minis with 185 rotors on my Monocog29er. The thing honked so badly my bike would tickle my feet through the pedals. I tried decontaminating pads and rotors, re-bedding them, I tried different pads, everything! Finally, I moved same exact brakes to my Stumpjumper FSR-XC and they were dead quiet, and robbed my stumpy for the Hope Mono Minis with 160mm rotors, and put them on my MC29er. Also quiet.

Some brakes just resonate against the frame in a way that makes it honk. I might suggest trying a smaller rotor in back to see if the problem goes away. I mean, a 203mm rotor in back is pretty excessive anyway, IMO, unless you weigh 250 and ride lots of fast steeps. A smaller rotor will resonate at a different frequency, hopefully one that is not a frequency that is picked up by the frame and made to ring (honk).

Bikingfool... not everything is the fault of improper setup. Some equipment just won't play well with other equipment.
    Okay, maybe I should have said not all gear plays together well with each other without some tweaking. Did you have the tabs of the frame faced or checked for alignment? Sometimes like you say you can adjust rotor size (or type) or pads or switch out or modifying adapters...I still think there's a way in setting up your brakes to solve the issue, at least every set of brakes on several different bikes I've had, just took some time to figure out in some cases. Disc brakes I think are still less fussy than some of the old canti's Of course, maybe I'm just luckier or maybe more persistent than some, too...
    suum quique

ballbuster

Yep and yep

Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    Okay, maybe I should have said not all gear plays together well with each other without some tweaking. Did you have the tabs of the frame faced or checked for alignment? Sometimes like you say you can adjust rotor size (or type) or pads or switch out or modifying adapters...I still think there's a way in setting up your brakes to solve the issue, at least every set of brakes on several different bikes I've had, just took some time to figure out in some cases. Disc brakes I think are still less fussy than some of the old canti's Of course, maybe I'm just luckier or maybe more persistent than some, too...
    Tabs faced: Check. they were spot on. I also tried toe-ing my pads and skewing the caliper one way or the other... also rocking the caliper in the slotted tabs.

At least canti's you can adjust. The problem is, you can't really adjust the resonant properties of your brakes, other than changing padsbut even that doesn't help much. Rotor size will make a difference, tho.