mtbr member
    May 2011

V2 calipers with X2 pads?

I'm looking to build a CX bike with Hope's new V-Twin, but I'd like to have more power than the stock X2 calipers can deliver. The two other options Hope offer are the M4 and V2 calipers, but seeing how the weight difference between the two is negligible, the more powerful V2 seems like the better choice. However, to keep the weight down, I'd like to run regular rotors (Hope's V2 discs weigh a metric ton and are completely overkill for my purposes), the problem here being the large V2 pads, which don't play well with rotors with narrower brake tracks. Hope's X2 pads seem very similar in design and size and do work with regular rotors - this is why I'm looking into whether it would be possible to use the smaller X2 brake pads with the V2 calipers.

Long story short - my question is: Can you run Hope's X2 pads with V2 calipers?

I guess it would be possible to scrape or cut off some friction material from the top of regular V2 pads, but I'd prefer not spending all my summer days filing brake pads

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I used magura 180 sl rotors with my v2's (with shimano adaptors) and they worked great.

You can also use hayes but they're probably going to be heavier.

Hope do make a steel disc for the v2 if asked for, not sure what the weight of a 183 would be but i don't think it would be overly heavy.

The 203 floater weighs approx 200g and the vented 300g, don't know about the 183.

I wouldn't attempt to use smaller pads, the pistons would probably be pushing on the bottom of the pads and not in the middle. Never tried just assuming.

If you used the same discs as i did (ebay maybe) and even swap the hoses for plastic you would have an awesome set of lightweight brakes. Good luck.
    You can't make a racehorse out of a donkey, but you can make a fast donkey.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yes it will work...sorta.

The X2 and V2 pads are very similar in size. The V2 pads are just a bit deeper. The issue is the V2 Piston would overlap the pads. Enough to be an issue? I dunno. I'm not going to find out.

See below V2 and X2 pads:

FYI the 183mm Hope V2 floating rotor weighs 179g

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for both your answers!

I have to reconsider the 183mm V2 rotor, but I still think it is unnecessarily heavy, pricey and overbuilt for what is essentially road bike on steroids. What I have now is a pair of Hope standard floating rotors, which don't actually weight that much less than the V2 rotors, but I'd like to have the option of using ligher rotors in the future if I succumb to weightweenienism.

I'm going to have to look into the pad issue, but looking at the imprint on the V2 pads, it seems like the X2 pads are not near tall enough to cover the whole piston. I'll ask Hope for their opinion.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I called up Hope, their suggestion is to run a bigger disc instead of a larger caliper, but out of curiosity, I am still going to experiment and try to get a V2 or a M4 caliper to play nice with the V-Twin master cylinder.

In the meantime, could someone measure the height of a V2 pad brake track (just the compound, not the backplate)? The regular Hope floating rotors have a brake track of 18mm. If the V2 pad turns out to be too tall, I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and order a proper V2 disc. In 183mm it is after all only 30g heavier than the standard floating disc.