mtbr member
    Apr 2009

V Break Problems

My V break on my BMX bike squeaks extremely loud and i have no idea how to fix it. can any one help me out? thanks

mtbr member
    It's brake, which speaking of.... you might be able to help others answer your question better if you listed model of brake, pads, and rim. Rim might be irrelevant but maybe rim material like steel, alu, or ceramic? I don't know much about BMX stuff.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I run a Shimano DX V Brake, with Shimano brake pads. as for the rim, its a Sun Ringle Big City Lite Aluminum rim

Doctor
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Sexton
    My V break on my BMX bike squeaks extremely loud and i have no idea how to fix it. can any one help me out? thanks
    1. Get some plain, fine steel wool and give the braking surface of the rim a good polishing.
    2. If this doesn't clear the issue, you may need some new pads. Kool-Stops work well, in my experience.

jeff

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletips
    1. Get some plain, fine steel wool and give the braking surface of the rim a good polishing.
    2. If this doesn't clear the issue, you may need some new pads. Kool-Stops work well, in my experience.

jeff
    Thanks. i will try that.

mtbr member
    You might also try "toeing in" the pads, i.e. positioning them so that the front end of the pad hits the rim slightly before the rear of the pad.

You can do this by loosening the pad hardware, sliding a credit card or something of similar width between the rim and the rear of the pad and then pulling the brake lever and holding it while you re-tighten the hardware (making sure the pad doesn't rotate). The spherical washer system will cause the front of the pad to rotate inward when the rear hits whatever you are using to space out the rear.