mtbr member

v brakes vs mechanical disc

hi everybody

what do you recommend for cross country use v brakes or mechanical disc brakes.

ill love a hidrahulical disc brakes but ai cant afford them by now. so i have to decide between mech or vs.

i hope you can helop me to decide.

Formerly RyanC
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by xisaacx
    hi everybody

what do you recommend for cross country use v brakes or mechanical disc brakes.

ill love a hidrahulical disc brakes but ai cant afford them by now. so i have to decide between mech or vs.

i hope you can helop me to decide.
    Most people here are probably going to recommend discs, me included. For XC riding it depends, sometimes vees work just fine and they'll save weight over a mech disc setup. Consult the FAQ, it has a blurb about this. If you go mech disc, go all the way and get Avid's. Cheap for discs, but a good investment that you won't feel are lacking or in need of an upgrade down the road.
    -Ryan

xc racer wannabe
    personally i'd rather have mech discs over v's any day, but v brakes do work pretty well and reliably in dry conditions. the only disadvantage of discs is the slight weight gain, but i personally feel it is negligable considering the vast benefits. i'd say the thing i was shocked most with was the increase in modulation on steep descents; i wasn't just locking my rear wheel and dragging it around, i was actually able to control the rate at which it was slowed.

i have the hayes mx-1's on my bike -- and they've worked flawlessly so far, but they came stock on my bike and were set up well. if you're adding new brakes to your bike i'd have to say go with the avids. it seems like a lot more people are satisfied with how they work and it also seems like people have better luck setting them up on their own than with the hayes.

don't be afraid of the hayes though, if you're getting them on a new bike. they're really quite excellent and the negative reviews on mtbr i believe to be accounted for by improper setup.

mtbr member

thanx

thanx.